cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling with colostomy and double nephrostomy

retireclose
Explorer
Explorer
I've been a long time rver. Just recently my prostate cancer spread causing me to have a colostomy and double nephrostomy. I don't think they will be reversed. We're thinking about getting a Class A hoping it will be more comfortable and easier to set up then our current travel trailer.

My question is there anyone else on the forum that has my health issues or any other disability that is still traveling?

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary
2016 22' Rockwood 2104s Mini-Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500
4 REPLIES 4

retireclose
Explorer
Explorer
First, I want to apologize for me taking so long to respond to your excellent replies. I am doing well with the colostomy bag. Pretty much automatic now. Still don't have a motorhome yet. Looking at a Leprechaun(Class C) with levelers. Probably purchase in the next couple of months. I use a two piece system also. I have disposable and drainable bags. Different occasions for each.

Thanks
2016 22' Rockwood 2104s Mini-Lite
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500

eieioh
Explorer
Explorer
Gary, I have had a permanent colostomy for over 4 years, now. I found that after the initial healing period, I had no problems with setting up or tearing down my 2003 Winnebago Minnie. We pull a toad on a dolly. We do not have hydrolic levelers.

My life is normal in every respect. The only thing I have a problem with is watching how much I lift. Then I ask for help. I use a two piece wafer and drainable bag system. It is very easy to care for at home or on the road. Be certain to carry an "emergency kit" of a complete system for each of your stomas. Not just the flanges and bags, but also any powders, pastes, cleansers, scissors, gloves and any other thing you use when you change.

I cannot speak for the nephrostomy. I would assume the restrictions are similar. I can see that dealing with the tubing could be a minor problem. But not insurmountable.

Sincerely,
Ed

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I can't address your health issue part, but I can say that a motorhome is definitely "easier" to set up than a trailer as long as you aren't towing a toad. With a toad, you will still have to do the hitching, etc. In addition, you may need to unhitch and drive both into a campground/park separately.

For comfort, I recommend you drive several and see. When my dad had his prostate surgery and came home with a temporary bag, he had a difficult time with having to climb up into a truck or bending down to get into a car. He found my Dakota (and then Durango) to be a perfect seat height for getting in, and they didn't have that lip that jeeps do (he always stubbed his feet on that lip). Just something to consider.

Hope they knock that cancer senseless.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ifyoiu can, make sure your colostomy bag is the disposable kind. Much easier to deal with. Like a Zip Lock bag. You take it off, zip it closed and dispose of it. Same with putting on a new one.

I don't have an issue and I have a Truck Camper not a Class A.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB