cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TV is "tracking"

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
New truck and new trailer...truck is tracking or pulling when I am towing.
Its pretty much constant, pulling left, pulling right, constantly having to countersteer.

TV is a 2015 Nissan Frontier 6 cyl 4x4, tow cap is 6500 lbs. I am towing a 2015 Heartland TrailRunner SLE 22 with a weight of 4350 lbs.

It doesn't matter if it is empty or full of gear it still pulls...any ideas?
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22
67 REPLIES 67

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Tires are rated at 2403 lbs

What do you mean post them on my door tag ? Sorry, new to this

I meant post the axle weight ratings that are listed on your door tag..

This is after you get the scale weights..

Like in my post with my cat scale weights my empty truck shows 1800 lbs in the rear... My door tag states 2700 max RAWR.

That means 2700 - 1800 = 900 lbs. Thats the max I can add to the rear without going over my rear axles..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Also I am not sure if you posted, but what are the specs on the hitch on the truck???

Mine is a 650 TW and 7500 trailer max with WD. There are not many massive hitches for these small trucks so just wondering what you have..

Not totally sure since the hitch came stock with the truck
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
1200 lb
My plan is to weigh and measure first, try towing.
If any issues arise deal with them individually.

I have 1000 lbs bars. Even though my TW is only 420 I have the weak spring pack on the truck... The 1000 lbs bars work great..

When I hit a bump in the road there is no teeter totter but a flat feel. The wd just flattens it out...

Since your trailer is heavy the 1200 bars will be fine..

What you can do is take the truck to the scales with full tank of fuel and get the axles weights before summer comes..

Post those weights, and the axle weights on your door tag and we can tell you your payload,,

I forgot what you said your tires were rated at ? Ill re read to see if you posted that.. I think you did...

Tires are rated at 2403 lbs

What do you mean post them on my door tag ? Sorry, new to this
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Also I am not sure if you posted, but what are the specs on the hitch on the truck???

Mine is a 650 TW and 7500 trailer max with WD. There are not many massive hitches for these small trucks so just wondering what you have..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
1200 lb

I have 1000 lbs bars. Even though my TW is only 420 I have the weak spring pack on the truck... The 1000 lbs bars work great..

When I hit a bump in the road there is no teeter totter but a flat feel. The wd just flattens it out...

Since your trailer is heavy the 1200 bars will be fine..

What you can do is take the truck to the scales with full tank of fuel and get the axles weights before summer comes..

Post those weights, and the axle weights on your door tag and we can tell you your payload,,

I forgot what you said your tires were rated at ? Ill re read to see if you posted that.. I think you did...
Mike L ... N.J.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
willi4nd wrote:
1200 lb
My plan is to weight and measure first, try towing.

I can spend a whole bunch of money on upgrades but it may simply be doing it right with what I have.

Good plan. Start at the scales. Then optimize the hitch you have. Take things one step at a time so that you know what the results are for each individual step.

For what it's worth, I use and like a BlueOx swaypro. But again, it could very well be that a correct setup of what you already have may work just fine for you. No point in just throwing money at a problem helter skelter. Start with a plan and work through it.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
1200 lb

I can spend a whole bunch of money on upgrades but it may simply be doing it right with what I have.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
willi4nd wrote:
justafordguy wrote:
You will be much better off once you get the hitch adjusted for sure, it's way off right now.

If you are still having trouble after your adjustments you may want to try a better hitch, the one they sold you is poor at best. You need a hitch with built in sway control not the add on friction sway control. When the Truck/trailer combination is less than perfect a very good WDH is super important.

What brand and model hitch would you go for ?

That hitch is fine.. Wait till next summer when you set it up right and see..

I myself use no sway control as I dont get any sway at all. The WD hitch alone is enough to prevent it..

Again your like me.. heavy trailer, light truck..

You can set it up correct..

Did you answer what lb bars you have for the WD hitch? Ill go back and re read to see if you posted that info..
Mike L ... N.J.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
justafordguy wrote:
You will be much better off once you get the hitch adjusted for sure, it's way off right now.

If you are still having trouble after your adjustments you may want to try a better hitch, the one they sold you is poor at best. You need a hitch with built in sway control not the add on friction sway control. When the Truck/trailer combination is less than perfect a very good WDH is super important.

What brand and model hitch would you go for ?
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer

2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
Sure sounds like a classic case of needs more truck or less trailer as well as properly set up hitch.

Ken

Unfortunately neither will happen soon since both the TT and TV are a month old.
At this point I am going to concentrate on my setup and try to get good as I can't
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Sure sounds like a classic case of needs more truck or less trailer as well as properly set up hitch.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
willi4nd wrote:
Snip...
Trailer is winterized, when I break it out next Spring I am going to re-read the thread.

Just a hint for you so you can find this thread next spring.

It will probably be buried many pages down the list and hard to find so click on the blue "Suscribe" link at the beginning of the thread in the gray area. That will put the thread at the top of your home page in "My Forums".

Next spring, when you want to re-read it, just click on that link and you will be taken to the thread. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

Thanks for the hint, I had already subscribed and several others too.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
He can also search for posts made by himself, as it's likely we won't see him again until spring anyway. It's not like us know-it-alls that can't shut our pieholes that post and post and post... ๐Ÿ™‚

I'm not going anywhere...somewhat of a forum addict. Tend to get straight-up answers from everyday folks in forums.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22