Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

WDH needed?

Merlisk
Explorer
Explorer
Is a WDH always needed?

I just recently changed out my TV from an F-150 to an F-250, 4x4 CC, 6.7L diesel. The GVWR of my TT is 7650 lbs. According to the Ford site, this TV can tow up to 8,500 lbs without a WDH. But, I know there's more to it than that.

The unloaded front wheel fender: 40 5/8"
The unloaded rear wheel fender: 41.125"

The loaded front wheel fender: 41"
The loaded rear wheel fender: 39.75"

Assuming the TT is level after hooking up, do the numbers above warrant using a WDH?

Thanks.
Mike, Betsy, and two sons
TT: 2014 CruiserRV Radiance R-28BHSS
TV: 2015 Ford SuperCrew Lariat F-250, 6.7L diesel
10 REPLIES 10

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
We tow a similar sized TT with an F-250. I can't possibly imagine towing without a WDH as far as sway and handling goes. The thing that will force you into one is the weight carrying capacity of the receiver as pointed out above.

I towed all last season without the cam arms installed on our Reese WDH. Finally just installed them and have been out once this year. Major improvement with them installed. I'd go with a WDH with integral sway control.

Merlisk
Explorer
Explorer
Ron Gratz wrote:
Merlisk wrote:
Assuming the TT is level after hooking up, do the numbers above warrant using a WDH?
According to Hitch Receiver Weight Capacity (bottom of page 28),
the tongue weight for your truck is limited to 850# without a WDH.

If your loaded trailer weight is 7000#, its tongue weight might be in the range of 900-1050#.

I would use a WDH.

Ron

Thank you, Ron. Good catch.

I looked at that exact chart and only pulled out the 8500 lbs. I should've kept scanning to the right. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Your truck's owners manual should have the necessary information. :S
I didn't find any specs for allowable "weight-carrying" versus "weight-distributing" trailer weights or tongue weights in the 2015 owner's manual.

The only place I found that information was in the Towing Guide.

I was at a Ford dealer a couple days ago and noted that only the 2015 Super Duty trucks have weight limits posted on the receiver.
The F-150s did not have a weight sticker on their receiver.

Ron

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Ron Gratz wrote:
Merlisk wrote:

If your loaded trailer weight is 7000#, its tongue weight might be in the range of 900-1050#.

I would use a WDH.

Ron

I agree with Ron. The weight limits of your trucks hitch dictate whether you need a WDH or not.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Your truck's owners manual should have the necessary information. :S
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Ron_Gratz
Explorer
Explorer
Merlisk wrote:

I would use a WDH.

Ron

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can run without a WD hitch. I am running my PUP and Minivan combo without one and everything is in spec... I do use a sway bar.. I highly recommend it.

Just make sure your draw bar and Hitch is rated to carry the weight.

Then you can weld on two sway bar tabs so that you can run DUAL friction sway control with your trailer. (If its over 26 ft)

Here is what I am talking about..

This forged draw bar is rated for 1,600 lbs of tongue weight and 16,000 lb trailer weight.. It is much stouter than a regular draw bar.

Then you will need a few of these tabs and weld them to the draw bar, one on either side.

I would imagine that your rig will tow great as long as the receiver and the draw bar are in spec.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Merlisk
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia Man wrote:
Although our truck can handle our 32' TT, our WDH has integrated sway control (SC) and I wouldn't get on the interstates without it with the kind of winds we have to deal with here in the four corner states where we camp most often. Just returned from a 2 week trip and had to drive home through 30+ mph winds with gusts higher than that and thankfully our WDH with integrated SC kept us straight and on the road throughout. Takes us just a couple of minutes to implement with our power tongue jack.

The sway bar is separate on mine, and I agree, I wouldn't leave home without it. That should be in a commercial or something. ๐Ÿ™‚

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Although our truck can handle our 32' TT, our WDH has integrated sway control (SC) and I wouldn't get on the interstates without it with the kind of winds we have to deal with here in the four corner states where we camp most often. Just returned from a 2 week trip and had to drive home through 30+ mph winds with gusts higher than that and thankfully our WDH with integrated SC kept us straight and on the road throughout. Takes us just a couple of minutes to implement with our power tongue jack.

Merlisk
Explorer
Explorer
This link seems to say a WDH is needed:

When Is Weight Distribution Needed?
You would likely benefit from a weight-distribution system if:

- Your trailer weight (GTW) is more than 50 percent of your vehicle's weight (GVWR)

The GVWR of my TV is 10,000. I estimate my TT weight to be 6,500 max. That's more than half, though.