cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WDH or not?

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
Haven't pulled my camper yet with my new to me 2016 2500 Megacab. My travel trailer is 28' and 5500#. I have always used a WDH w/sway (cheap one they threw in when I got the TT). Like most, it is a 2" bar. The Ram has a class V hitch, 2-1/2" receiver. I have the sleeve, to use the WDH, but wondering if I would be better off, just using a class V and forgo the WDH. I have all I need either way, so really just wondering which is best, thinking there could be some movement in the WDH using the sleeve.
Thanks
Joe
20 REPLIES 20

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I would personally want sway control as a safety device with a trailer of that length, but YMMV. BTW, do you know if your old WDH is rated for the tongue weight of your new TT?
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
It's probably not strictly necessary but it's should give a better ride and the ball by itself won't address sway.

Get into a good cross wind or a road that gets bouncy and it's still a really nice addition.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our tow vehicle can easily handle the tongue weight of our TT as well, don't actually need weight distribution, I use my WD/SC hitch faithfully for the sway control. Pretty windy where we do most of our RVing, add traveling at highway speeds, and sway control is what it is all about to achieve a comfortable towing experience. We can fly down the interstate and have no issues with sway even when passing commercial trucks, can't help not to love that rock solid feeling while underway.

There have been many instances where I see an HD truck that can easily handle their TT barely going 55mph, I notice as we pass them they don't have sway control or have an inferior WD/SC hitch that is not properly dialed in. We have a power tongue jack that takes less than a couple of minutes to remove/install our bars, great for when we are off road which is a lot as we prefer boondocking whenever possible. Without our WD/SC hitch we can get to where we are going, just not as relaxed when we get to our destination.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2. Try pulling without a WDH.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
It is a diesel

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You don't say if your Ram is a diesel, which would add lots of weight to the front. The only way to know, is to give it a tow, no WDH, see what you think. Adding other things in the bed may effect outcome too??

Jerry