cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Wrangler base plate

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Well after 15 years of pulling around my 01 Wrangler I'm looking for a newer one.
Have my eye on a 2015 4door Sahara. For a little more $ I can change out stock number and use the d hook spot for tabs.
Anyone out there using This bumper? Or something similar.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
30 REPLIES 30

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at the installation instructions and see the D tabs bolt through the wranglers frame flange. It really is the same thing I posted above of my 01 wranglers base plate and I have pulled that one around like that for 15 years.
I know this one is a little heavier but I think it should be fine. Now to find a place for the safety cables.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Y-Guy
I understand, it's a CYA type of reply.

But if you think about it the bolts and the tow brackets are the potential weak links. The bolts and the bracket are the points that will be taking the stress of being pulled on, not the bumper. But you need to feel good about your towing, that's what matters most.

Here is another bumper to consider, Iron Cross Full Size Front Bumper With Push Bar

There is a custom Jeep parts maker in Colorado that makes one with tow brackets that is way more affordable but I've lost the URL. I'll see if I can find it for you.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know. Seems they don't think it is strong enough. This is the reply I received from my question.

Hello,

You asked the following question regarding the product "Rugged Ridge 11548.01 Spartan Front Bumper with High Clearance Ends & Overrider for 07-18 Jeep Wrangler JK "
https://www.quadratec.com/p/rugged-ridge/spartan-front-bumper-high-clear...

Your Question:
Can I use this bumper with tow bar brackets instead of the D rings so that I can pull my Jeep behind my motor home?

Our Answer:
No, this bumper is not rated for flat towing

-------------------------
This is an automated email, any responses will not be seen by a human.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Y-Guy
mike brez wrote:
I got a email back about that rugged ridge bumper that I originally posted and they said it's not for four down towing

I'm not suprised, the D-ring are not designed for that type of use, though some use it. It's not just the D-Ring adapters but the bolts that come with them. If you use the Rock Hard adapter that I link to you should be fine as the bumper itself has nothing to do with it.

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I got a email back about that rugged ridge bumper that I originally posted and they said it's not for four down towing
2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Are these the D ring adaptors

I was thinking of these

2015 Wrangler JKU

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
Well after 15 years of pulling around my 01 Wrangler I'm looking for a newer one.
Have my eye on a 2015 4door Sahara. For a little more $ I can change out stock number and use the d hook spot for tabs.
Anyone out there using This bumper? Or something similar.

Mike,
That bumper you linked in the opening post is very, very nice. I'm running many Rugged Ridge products right now in our '15 JKUR and I've had zero issues with any of them. Those D-ring "Recovery Tabs" will work flawlessly for your intended tow setup. We're presently using a set of Smittybilt Gen I bumpers and are using the recovery tabs for towing with our Blue Ox Aventa.
I bought the tow bar adapters from Amazon which had the best price for them. I'd post pics but, like many, I lost privlages for posting pics when Photobucket got greedy. I can post on other sites but, not this one. Anyway, using those recovery tabs is a great way to go. I run around with many, many Jeepers that tow their jeeps, ALL OF THEM WITH THE D-RING mounts. And not one has ever had any issues. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Y-Guy
That's some wicked looking rust! Good call on keeping it though, for low speed use and some welding should be good to go.

Congrats on the new Wrangler! Now you just need to get the top and doors off ๐Ÿ˜‰

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Well I picked up the new to me wrangler. Now to figure out the tow stuff.

I'm going to keep the old wrangler and weld up the frame and keep it just to snow plow our lot.
Here is we're the trouble started. Drivers side trans/torque converter brace rotted and that side fell down at highway speed putting a weird/ bad angle on rear universal joints.
The passanger side had one good bolt one totally rotted out and the other 80% rotted.

And here she is this past winter ready for work

2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
scrubjaysnest wrote:
Some of the after market bumpers actually have Blue Ox base plate sockets built in.

I have a Demco Aluminiator tow bar my ends look like this

2015 Wrangler JKU

Y-Guy
mike brez wrote:
Just looked at the hard rock and LoD makes the one I posted look like a bargain.

Yeah their bumpers are not cheap. But the bracket I linked to works well and is reasonable priced for a quality product.

scrubjaysnest wrote:
Some of the after market bumpers actually have Blue Ox base plate sockets built in.

What other brands beyond HardRock and LoD make them?

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Just looked at the hard rock and LoD makes the one I posted look like a bargain.
I'm using $50.00 brackets now.

2015 Wrangler JKU

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Y-Guy wrote:
That bumper is on my short list too. But I don't want to use the D Ring adapter so I'm considering one of these; Rock Hard 4X4 RH8000BO Blue Ox Tow Bracket Kit they make them for Road Master as well.

Both RockHard and LoD make bumpers designed to tow, but they are not cheap. The adapters from RockHard have good reviews and comments from other RVers I've met with.

X2 I would go that way also.
2015 Wrangler JKU

Shultzy
Explorer
Explorer
I use those Blue Ox brackets with a similar bumper. So far, so good.