cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

fall and winter weekend camping with family?

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
We do a lot of weekend camping in the winter. Having an 8 year old living with us makes it necessary to camp weekends during the school year. She loves getting outdoors. We camp at Cheraw state park a couple of times each year and also a KOA just off of 85 in Anderson SC. Our grand daughter loves being outdoors. At home she is glued to the tv, but when camping she has to investigate EVERYTHING. In October, Cheraw has the jazz festival. it is not terribly large, but it is so much fun and lots of music happening there. It is a small town and has several nice little antique shops. Our MOHo is kind of long to get into most state parks, but we love it. 30 amps and water with an easy to get into dump station. Anyone else take the family out for winter weekends?
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE
10 REPLIES 10

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
PawPaw N Gram, We look for the long weekends here. We are having a 4 day weekend here mid Oct. teachers work day. So we were checking places today that we want to visit. We didn't nail anything down, but we certainly are going someplace!

I hear you on the heat in the summertime. we have that here too, and of course the insects. We still go tho. Usually we head out to the Midwest to visit my family. I lost my dad this last March and now my mother is having a rough time. I like to spend as much time with her and my younger sister as I can. My parents , ( I cant get use to my dad being gone) are (were) in their mid 90s. So after losing him, its become really important to be there as much as I can for my mom.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Down in Texas - many of local residents use the fall, winter and spring to explore the state.

Among our busiest camping times all year are the weekend of Thanksgiving, and the week after Christmas.

It can be quite cool along the northern parts of the state some years, and it can be quite pleasant other years.

From the middle of the state south - school year weekends are prime camping time. One advantage is a bit fewer bugs.

Because summer is downright unpleasant for camping in most of Texas. Highs at or above 100, lows above 80 at night.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
All I could afford, I think I understand why you only camp once in the winter. You do live in a cold climate.
we are lucky here, have never winterized our MoHO. I imagine it would be a not so pleasant job to winterize one often on weekends in the north. I bet the weekend you do camp, you really enjoy it. Our grand daughter loves camping in the winter. She meets friends that she only see when camping.
we get to sit around a campfire and trade stories and good food.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I do at least one weekend over the winter. Only at places that have great bathrooms and showers year round like Swartswood state park because I winterize once the temps drop near freezing first time. Only $20 per nite there. I love the peace and quiet.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollin’ on 33’s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, best of luck to you NYCgrrl. We lived in Ct for a few years and it gets COOOLd up there. I understand how your grandmother feels. My mother is 92 and no way would she camp. She says she has earned her creature comforts. Maybe. like you are doing, in a cabin, but no way in a camper where she didn't have EVERY thing 🙂

eichacsj , we camp boondocking, with partial hook ups and full hookups. We just want to go. Because we take two tiny yorkies and our 8 year old grand daughter with us, we don't do anything too wild. Actually for me, the camping in a field with a bunch of nascar fans is actually a little wilder than I like. They can get a bit crazy.

I hope we can learn what other people do while winter camping.
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

ro_sie
Explorer
Explorer
FreedomFam, what and where is Watsadlers? We too are in the upstate. We camp with a group every year in Cheraw and this year it will be in early December. This will be our groups 10th anniversary as a group. We too have a new to us MoHO. But we have been camping for about 10 years. Where do you camp around Anderson? We did our test run in our latest Rv at the KOA on Wham Rd just off of #85. Our little grand daughter loved it there. Of course we did some wandering about while there. We did camp once at tablerock, but it is not 40ft friendly. In a couple of weeks we will be boondocking at Lowes motor speedway. Maybe we will meet sometime while camping!
ro_sie
Art ( my roomie)
Fleetwood Revolution LE

FreedomFam
Explorer
Explorer
We camp at Watsadlers over Thanksgiving and camp at Ocean Lakes over New Years. We have a new camper this year so will probably do some Feb and March camping locally around Anderson SC

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Very early life we fall, winter and spring camped on very remote 4wd trails with a sheepherders tent. Now it is mostly Wife and I primarily only do late fall and winter camping in our TT. Our camping is boon-docking, no structured camp grounds, we go back on fire roads. We are fully equipped with heavy chains for all wheels. We go up around the RIM (primarily FR300 off one of the spurs) here in AZ.

Way to crowded during the normal season and we just like the snow, once and a while we get lucky and it snows while we are out. Love the peacefulness when the snow falling, it doesn't happen to often in AZ.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
ro_sie wrote:
We do a lot of weekend camping in the winter. Having an 8 year old living with us makes it necessary to camp weekends during the school year. She loves getting outdoors. We camp at Cheraw state park a couple of times each year and also a KOA just off of 85 in Anderson SC. Our grand daughter loves being outdoors. At home she is glued to the tv, but when camping she has to investigate EVERYTHING. In October, Cheraw has the jazz festival. it is not terribly large, but it is so much fun and lots of music happening there. It is a small town and has several nice little antique shops. Our MOHo is kind of long to get into most state parks, but we love it. 30 amps and water with an easy to get into dump station. Anyone else take the family out for winter weekends?

Apropos and on target!
This year it's our turn to host Thanksgiving but we are in the middle of gut rehabbing our new home. All this makes me unsure everything will be together in time.
Sooo I'm currently looking for the right NYS state park w/ winter cabins to spend that long weekend at. Should all go according to plan we'll be 4 generations assuming my 92 y/o mother feels that having already tent camped once in life (and that was enough for her thank you very kindly:B)she might try cabin sleeping. Haven't told my DGD yet but she's always ready to get outdoors and so far doesn't seem to miss the electronic toys her Noonie doesn't allow;).

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Ro_sie,

Fall is one thing. Winter is another. We have done both, but you have to head out with plenty of propane and watch the water system. If you let the water system freeze, the repair can be expensive.

The grandsons loved it.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.