cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Laundry money

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
We don't have a washing machine in our TT, so we plan on doing laundry if we are out for a week or longer. The only problem is, we have to use coin operated machines, either at the park we may be at or a public laundry mat. When the kids were still little and we had a pop-up, laundry was a much bigger issue.

We don't mind doing laundry at all, but a few times in our past when the kids were still little and we had a pop-up, laundry was a much bigger issue. A couple times, in our early camping experience, we came up short on change to feed the machines. It only took a time or two and then we started planning ahead.

Fast forward years later. Kids are all grown and gone now and it's just the MRS and me. As we get home from work every night, for years now, we've been dropping our pocket change into a bucket and it accumulates fast. Sometimes, the pocket change has paid for several nights of camping.

Well, when the son and grandson moved back home, the grandson just loves playing with the change bucket. So, a new change bucket got started in the camper.

Then the little rascal found the bucket in the camper. So, last Summer when we were in South Dakota, we bought a buffalo (piggy bank) and we started putting only quarters in it. The rest of the change went to the bucket for the grandson to play with (By the way, he's 5 years old now).

Well, a couple days ago I decided to empty the buffalo and count the currency. I was pleasantly surprised to find we had over $100, all in Quarters!

I guess the next time we do laundry on the road, we won't be short of change!

It makes me wonder how much in coin the grandson has stashed in his bucket in his bed room now? He doesn't spend it, he love to just play with it.

It adds up. Try it. You'll be surprised! Next time we take the trailer out (this week-end actually), we may take the buffalo and go out to eat one night!
20 REPLIES 20

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
$5 is like one load of laundry on the road. .
Just in case there's no change machine or it doesn't work.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We found that the little bottles that Diabetes blood test strips come i are exactly the right size for quarters to drop in. Each one holds about $7 worth. So whenever I find quarters in my pocket, they go in the current bottle, then stored in the RV. Usually have $35 - 40 4 worth statched. First time across the Chesaeak bay bridge-tunnel, thay wouldn't take anything but cash. No credit cards or checks, and as we didn't realize how much the toll was, we were unprepared. We gave them, and made them count, $30.00 in quarters and smaller change, while we sat in their toll lane with an RV and toad.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
$5 is like one load of laundry on the road. We always keep $50 to $80+ in quarters. Not always for laundry but some state campgrounds would have pay showers and such. Have even sold some to help out other campers when the change machine was empty or not functioning. Short once and never again.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I keep maybe $5 in quarters at the ready.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
we've saved quarters (for laundry) for years, now. but most city laundry mats have a money changer if you need to use it.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Good story.. I save all my quarters from change daily and then put them in a container for campground laundry. So far, so good.

OT, a friend put all change in a 5 gallon plastic water jug. They just emptied it. Over $1,800.00 in money. Super nice surprise.