Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

NC to Maine Road Trip

sochale12
Explorer
Explorer
Good Day!
Planning a 3 week family (4 kids and a dog) road trip this summer from NC to Maine (Acadia NP) and back with our travel trailer. Looking to spend a couple days in NYC as well. Any ideas/recommendations on roads to travel/avoid, camp sites, things to see and do etc. Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

party_of_5
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at the Newburg KOA a few years back. We liked this location because it offered a bus tour of NYC that departed right there from the Campground. NEW YORK CITY NORTH / NEWBURGH KOA. The tour was a bit fast pasted but we saw & Visited all the "hot Spots" and the tour bus offered a discount bus ticket if we wanted to return the next day. (non tour, just transportation)
Party of 5 + 1 mutt:B
2004 Ambient MH

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
As mentioned best way to enter new england would be PA I81 to I78 east then to either the tapenzee Bridge ( I287 to I684 to I84 east or more north and less traffic would be the Newburghโ€“Beacon bridge (I87 north to I84 east)

I would avoid I95 all together... especially through NJ,NY,CT!!

I do remember seeing some rvers bringing dogs to liberty Harbor, I would call in advance about their dog policy or check online. And again as mentioned LH would probably be your best choice for visiting NYC.

BTW, Welcome to the forum!

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would avoid traveling on I-95 between Boston and Washington, DC as much as practical. In particular, taking it through DC, Baltimore, and NYC is no fun at all. Depending on where you're starting from in North Carolina, I-77 to I-81 might be a good alternative, or perhaps the Chesapeake Bay bridge/tunnel (US 13).

For visiting NYC, probably the most convenient place to camp is Liberty Harbor across the water in New Jersey. Having the dog may well complicate things somewhat there; they are not permitted on the subway unless in a carrier of some sort, and of course are not welcome at all in many museums, etc.

Be aware that RVs (or, more specifically, propane) is not allowed in NYC and Boston tunnels, and plan routes accordingly. Also be aware that RVs are not permitted on parkways around New York and New England, with very, very few exceptions; the Garden State Parkway in New Jersey is one important exception.

If you like amusement parks, Canboie Lake Park in Salem, NH is a very nice independently-owned traditional park. They don't nickle and dime you for things like parking, either, which is a refreshing change from many places.

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
While going through main, we love Wells Beach. There are a number of campgrounds, we like Sea Vu and Sea Vu West. Great places to eat. Right in between Kennybunkport (home of the Bush's) and Ogunquit. There is a trolly that runs by both campgrounds, $1 to ride, $3 to go all the way to Ogunquit.