Did you mean:ย 

Thinking about a trip across country

Campingdad18
Explorer
Explorer
I am probably being too ambitious based on my set up but
I have been itching to take myself and my family out west for a family camping
Trip. Here are my two major concerns and maybe you fine folks can help me make
the final call on whether or not to make it a reality.

One: I have a family of 5. Kids are 12,10, and 7 and my tow vehicle is a VERY reliable, easy to work on, low mileage (115k), 2002 Cummins 6 speed (yes that means three kids in a quad cab) truck. We tow 1500 Miles/year together in va,nc,wv,and tenn for the last 4 years. I love the truck but itโ€™s not ideal for camping. Loud in the campground, loud on the road, steers like a wagon, and tight for 5 of us but Iโ€™m afraid to get rid of it for the reliability factor.
I would think a mega cab cummins or a duramax (06-07) would be a better choice for such a long trip. Or a chase vehicle but that splits us up on the drive which we donโ€™t like.

Two:
I have a 2002 sprinter 5th wheel with two slide lead but no bunks. We have to make two kids share a jacknife (uncomfortable) couch and itโ€™s got age but it has been
Solid and reliable both on the road in the campground for 4 seasons now.
Thinking that a 5er with bunks would be a better option for overnite stays during travel
Out and back.

Mainly these two things are hampering my commitment to doing a 30 hour drive to yellowstone or somewhere similar.
What are some of your opinions and remember we are a homeschool family living basically on one salary. Thanks!
22 REPLIES 22

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is nothing wrong with having a family discussion about the proposed trip. It is good for everyone to be able to ask questions and understand the plan. The decision about whether to go or not is up to the parents.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
So your two primary concerns are the comfort of the kids in the truck and the comfort of the kids sleeping. RIght?

I'd have a family conference to discuss it. Help the kids understand the pros and cons, and then have a discussion. Answer all their questions. Then, depending on your personal family values, either put it to a vote, or persuade them that this will be the most fun ever and tell them they're going to do it.

Yellowstone is an unforgettable trip! My kids, who are now 36 years old (twins), still talk about our trip out there in 1999. We did it in a popup, and we did some 12-hour to 13-hour driving days. I would never do such long drives now (I'm too old and uncomfortable), but it didn't trouble the twins in the least. They have no unpleasant memories of the trip.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest limiting the trip to staying east of the Mississippi. It looks like you have never been to Cedar Point the roller coaster capital of the world. One family made it a summer trip to visit as many minor league baseball teams as possible.
The west is HUGE and those from the east cannot imagine how big it is.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

woodtrucker
Explorer
Explorer
thanks all! I think we can make it work. I do feel like since my wife probably won't drive with camper until straight roads in the midwest that we will have to take our time getting out and getting back.
I have considered the diesel ford expedition and a tag along but I'd have to sell my truck, 5th wheel camper and buy diesel expedition, firewood hauler truck (cheap), and a tag along so that would be difficult to follow through with. We love the accomodations we have in the 5er it's just a little hard on our kids but they can handle it.they are kids! haha. As long as me and the DW are comfortable sleeping that's most important. Still some great ideas guys. thanks a lot!
2007.5 6.7 liter, Suncoast M3GA-68-5 Comp, mega cab,1 ton, srw, 4x4, Factory EB,3.73s
mods-EGR Delete (brand unknown), DPF delete, CCV-delete, FS-2500 bypass filter, H&S Black Maxx Tuner
2003 keystone cougar 281 EFS-31ft

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I grew up traveling with my parents in an old '57 Mercury. We carried an umbrella tent and a gas stove in the trunk. My parents had the big tent and the 3 boys had the small tents. Once I got to college, we traveled across country every summer just for the fun of it in old cars with a box of tools and sleeping bags and little else.

Some families can handle a lot of togetherness better than others. I would stop along the way and get your kids some exercise by hiking and running around. Sometimes my Dad would lose his patience and stop the car. We would tell us to get out and run behind the car for awhile. We were athletes and did not mind.

Bring at least one tent for your older kids. That will give everyone some separation and privacy. It teaches kids independence. Maybe 2 small tents.

There is nothing wrong with your truck and 5er, you just have to know your family before you commit to a long trip. Our trips sound Spartan today, but we all loved them. We are still serious road warriors.

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
My advice: go for it, one way or another.

Yes, it will be a lot of time and miles in close quarters, but it's not going to get easier as the kids get older (and bigger and busier), and the memories will be priceless. I would bring a tent along for one or more of the kids (and/or adults) to use if the weather and campground permits.

I get the impression you aren't really interested in changing your vehicle or camper for various reasons, and that's OK (though maybe not ideal). That said, in my opinion for traveling I think a motorhome is a lot more convenient; you have more elbow room on the road, and ready access to snacks, pastimes, etc. Setting up camp is quicker in the evenings, and likewise breaking camp in the mornings. Another quite reasonable vehicle option might be a full size van and a decent size travel trailer. Vans can be equipped to tow quite a bit (8000+ pounds) and have enough payload to do so while carrying some load inside as well.

I'm not sold on bunk beds in trailers (or often in motorhomes) as they tend to be quite cramped and relatively short and take up a relatively large amount of interior space, but they apparently do seem to work out well enough for some.

Obviously more time is always preferable, but three weeks should be sufficient for the trip. I'd plan on five days out and five days back, which gives a good ten or twelve days out west. If you can spare a day to spend at the St Louis City Museum, your kids will (almost certainly) thoroughly enjoy that and it can split up some of the long drive.

Campingdad18
Explorer
Explorer
I just mentioned that to the kids earlier tonite.
I think we could set one up. I think weโ€™d leave Virginia (near Blacksburg/Virginia Tech) and either go to Yellowstone or to Rocky Mountain havenโ€™t decided where but it would be a three week vacation but not much more than that.
Good tips. Thanks!

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
One option worth considering might be to get a portable cot for one child if there is room with the slides out.

You never mentioned how many days you have to do this, or how many miles it might be, but with three kids in the cab, lots of stops and a long day driving, then a short day driving, then a day in camp might work.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel