cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer weight vs. towing capacity

mickeyhs
Explorer
Explorer
If my SUV's towing capacity is 6000 pounds, what should be my safe trailer dry weight?
18 REPLIES 18

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Campfire Time wrote:
Ignore dry weight.

Correct and, in reality, disregard the towing rating of your SUV.
Figure what you can tow by using the PAYLOAD rating of your vehicle.

It's all about passengers, gear, the hitch and the loaded tongue load weight....all this needs to be subtracted from the payload rating of your SUV.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

OpenRangePullen
Explorer
Explorer
Simple answer, go about 4,000-4,500 pounds dry weight. You will make up the extra weight quick when you have full tanks and gear.
2013 OpenRange Roamer 395bhs
2022 F350srw Limited, tower
2021 F150 Platinum Hybrid, daily
2002 Accord V6/5spd, project
2014 Kawasaki Concours

TomHaycraft
Explorer
Explorer
Disregard dry weights. Period.

Use a trailer's GVRW, the maximum weight your trailer is designed to hold. The trailer's GVWR should not exceed the tow vehicle's towing capacity.

But that is only 1/2 the equation, the horizontal force. Don't forget to also consider the cargo capacity of your tow vehicle (TV), the vertical force. This will take into account the portion of your trailer supported by the TV, weight of your hitch, people in the TV, full take of fuel, firewood, coolers, etc. Many discussions on RV.NET (and other forums) about calculating that.

One last thought, cargo capacity gets max'd out before towing capacity for most vehicles.

Hope this helps.
2013 Silverado 3500HD - Duramax/Allison - CC, long bed, SRW, 2WD
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS - TST 507 TPMS

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
Ignore dry weight. That's a fictional number that no one will ever have when ready to camp. For planning use the GVWR, that's the most the trailer can weigh fully loaded. I have twice towed very close to my rated capacities with 2 different rigs. It can be done but there are limitations. I find it far better and more comfortable towing with a healthy margin. I would suggest a TT that has no more than a 4500# GVWR.

What are you towing with? Knowing this can help us make a better recommendation. Not all SUVs with 6k towing capacities are equal.

You also need to know your payload (on the sticker in the driver door). Many SUVs have a low payload, so even though the towing capacity is 6000#, you may not be able to tow a trailer that heavy simply because the combination of tongue weight, passengers, and "stuff" will eat up and go over your payload.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)