cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Carlsbad Cavern Kennel

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
While we were visiting Carlsbad Caverns, we decided to kennel our dog in the concessionaire's kennel.

Wow, that is something that I will not do again.

Very disappointed in that the room was windowless, the crates were stacked about three high and if you wanted the dog walked, you had to go back and do it yourself.

The cages were three different sizes. The attendant grabbed a bowl of water and put it in the cage. I then lifted my dog and put her in.

We did a rather hurried tour of the cave.

I asked the attendant if he wanted papers or proof of vaccinations. He said no, they were not required since the dogs did not come in contact with each other. Ahem, anything about airborne illnesses?

I do not know how often the cages were cleaned or disinfected.

The fee was $10 but it was not worth the worry.

Definitely would not kennel my dog there again.

We later found a better kennel in the next city where she had her own cubicle, a/c, dog bed with head and foot board and 18 inch tv tuned in to the Animal Planet. Plus she was walked and let outside for a while.
GeneKiwi
2013 Heartland Caliber 26RLSS (Dislike the quality)
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 (Love the truck)
3 REPLIES 3

genekiwi
Explorer
Explorer
This was the only kennel that we used that showed no interest whether a dog was up to date on her shots. Kennel cough is one of the biggest concerns at a kennel.

Not every dog owner takes the time to keep their dogs shots up to date.

We used four private kennels and they all asked about her shots. We carry her records with us. We also inquired with some others and they asked about shots.

The attitude that the dogs don't come in contact so no problem, is nonsense.

I still would not recommend the place.
GeneKiwi
2013 Heartland Caliber 26RLSS (Dislike the quality)
2013 Chevy Silverado 1500 (Love the truck)

ChiMom
Explorer
Explorer
I'm also surprised that genekiwi disliked these kennels. When we visited Carlsbad three years ago, we were delighted to have the kennels available for our 2 small dogs. They were clean and air-conditioned, so we could explore the caverns and not have to worry if the RV generator kicked off in the heat of the day, shutting down the AC. We wished more attractions in the South and Southwest offered this service. Perhaps things have changed since then.
Barbara, Florence, Rascal (bad chihuahua), and Annabelle (good girl turning bad)
Rainbow Bridge: Magoo (baddest chihuahua)
2007 Pleasure-Way Ford Excel TD: Miss Daisy

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I boarded my dog there and you make it sound scary, I did not feel that way was clean and convienent

My dog was not tall enough to see out windows anyway
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks