cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,045 REPLIES 2,045

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Christmas Eve already, and we're wearing shorts still. Supposed to be chilly, windy, and if we're really, really lucky, wet tomorrow, so the hot cocoa while unwrapping presents tradition will continue.

Spot's asleep on the Christmas tree skirt, after finding two of his toys and going crazy for a while. Alex went outside on patrol for a good part of the morning, and is now asleep in my lap.

The hummingbirds are right lively today, coming to the feeder fairly frequently.

The deer are still hacked at WLToo for mowing even more of the meadow. Haven't seen anyone all day. Another couple days of mowing, and that will be done, except for the weed whacking in the spots we can't mow.

Sister, nephew, and ex-brother-in-law will all arrive in the next hour or so, and we'll break out the Glรผhwein, even though it's awful warm to be drinking hot mulled wine. But I love the stuff. Nephew, 14, will have hot spiced apple cider, if he wants it.

I hear a car coming up the drive. Later, y'all, and Merry Christmas!
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Back to the short sleeves and shorts. I love it here.

The hummingbirds survived the short cold snap easily, as we found out when all three buzzed us as we worked in the yard near the feeder. We do still have a variety of bugs, so they do have food.

WLToo started the annual meadow mowing. We leave it as a wildscape, mowing only once a year to scatter the wildflower seeds. It will take a few more days to get it finished, but what's done looks pretty nice. The gaps are filling in nicely. Amazing what happens when you leave Mother Nature alone. WLToo found the roadrunner's nest and avoided it, leaving some high grass and wildflowers for cover. The roadrunner stayed close to the nest and jumped back in it when the mower moved on.

No deer in the meadow today. I guess they don't like the mower. Mama Doe Lassie will probably give us the evil eye when she shows up again, since we're messing with her meadow.

The boys are being fairly lazy today, after zooming wildly most of yesterday. Alex shared my cheese for lunch, after eating his own lunch, then crashed next to me on the porch loveseat. He's eating supper now, which Spot didn't care for, so Spot got treats and headed back outside.

It's too warm to be inside. I'm going back out. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We celebrated Spot's 2-year-adopted-his-humans anniversary with a potluck dinner for our writers' group. The weather was soooo much nicer than it was the night he arrived and announced that he was cold and really, really wanted inside. The doors were open, so he and Alex got to wander in and out until the late evening. So many legs to rub against, so many guys for Spot to enjoy their company. After the party, WLToo and I cleaned up and then had to move the boys off the bed so we could get into it. We all slept like rocks.

Wednesday was somewhat cooler, but Spot still enjoyed a long patrol, returning to the house with three little bucks in tow, two born this year and the third was Solo. Not sure what was up with that, but they're still hanging around. In fact, the tiniest buck hangs around with Mama Doe Lassie so much that it's hard to feed her any corn, since she'll just let the buck have it. We don't need a buck unafraid of us or willing to walk up on the porch, so no food until she's alone.

The weather turned very windy and cold at night. I actually put on a sweatshirt yesterday; today was just a long-sleeved shirt. Tonight we have a nice fire going, then we'll warm back up and turn the heater off again. I do love winter here, where I wear short-sleeved shirts and shorts more often than not.

The hummingbirds are still here, so after the high winds yesterday required us to take the feeder down, I put it back up late last night, and there they were this morning. Stalwart little birds, the three of them. Hope they survive.

I hear some cocoa calling me. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

RTompkins3
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! Almost 2 years since Spot entered your life! A lot of water under the bridge. I still get visions of Data from STNG when I read your posts, which I have been following since the beginning. Thank you for the glimpses into life in your part of Texas, and I hope it continues for many years to come.

Wanderlost wrote:
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
Ralph (W1KDK) and Cathy
2015 LifeStyle LS38RS 5th Wheel
HMC USN(Ret)

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We have a late season fawn showing up with Mama Doe Lassie for the corn now. He's even coming up without her. We're not inclined to feed him, though, as we don't want a buck hanging around the porch. If MDL shares her food with him, fine.

Spot is sleeping on the Christmas tree skirt, even moving packages so he can lay in his favorite spot. He's also found a few favorite ornaments for toys, which is fine. We've always reserved the lower 18" for cat-safe ornaments. But he's been standing up on his hind legs and reaching high for the more delicate ornaments, which requires a water bottle correction. Stubborn, silly boy.

I thought the cold snap would drive the three hummingbirds into migration, but no, they're still here. It's warming back up now. I think unless we get a serious cold snap in January, they'll just stay. I do still see bugs out there, so I guess the little birdies are finding enough to eat.

We dropped two deer licks near the water trough, and that little buck has tasted both. Haven't seen the others taste them yet.

It's dark, I'm tired, and Alex' body heat is burning up my leg. Gotta go.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Gallop! Gallop! Skitter, skitter, blomp! Gallop! Gallop! Leap! Blomp! Leap! Ruuuunnnnnn!!!!

Spot treated us to more Fosbury Flops the last week, as he chased butterflies and pretty much anything that moved. He's in serious dashing about mode. Nice to see him working off all the food he eats.

Unfortunately, Alex is not so happy with Spot's energy. Alex can play about a minute or two, then needs to rest. Spot doesn't understand that, so a lot of human intervention is necessary.

The weather's so nice, though, that Spot can play outside as long as he likes, while Alex naps in the music room.

One of the hummingbirds hovered in the open door a little while ago, so I made more sugar water. We're due for a couple nights in the 30s early next week; I wonder if they'll take the hint and migrate, or if they'll tough it out and stay, since the weather will warm back up the rest of the week. Be interesting to see.

Mama Doe Lassie may be figuring out that we'll only feed her out of sight of any other deer. We'll watch her actions over the next few days to confirm or refute my theory.

Meanwhile, the herd has lost interest in the newly built keyhole garden plot. Next up is the deer fence around it, then we'll be ready to search out heritage vegetables and fruits with which to feed ourselves next year. We've already started putting all our compostable stuff in the garden's compost chute, as opposed to the old cement culvert on the west side of the garage. I'm sure that's made a few critters unhappy - no more treats out there.

Well, Army is playing Navy. Time to pay attention. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Yesterday and the day before, we watched Spot doing the Fosbury Flop, as he chased butterflies. He's becoming positively athletic, a huge change from his tom cat style stroll. He even ran up a tree!

A doe came up yesterday and I fed her. Then I realized it's not Mama Doe Lassie, but a doe who looks and acts very much like her -- might be siblings or MDL raised her. When she didn't nuzzle me as MDL does, and was very leery of Spot and I, I should have figured it out. But I didn't, until MDL walked around the corner. Luckily, only MDL was here for today's feeding. We're not going into the herd feeding business.

Back to handing lights up to WLToo on the roof. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
This morning, we had a special performance from Spot Astaire. He must have watched "Royal Wedding" a few times. He was chasing Alex, bounced onto the rocking chair back, and rode it down to the floor before dashing on. Naturally, we didn't have a video camera running...

Alex is back in his favorite outdoor past time of rolling around in the dirt until he's completely covered, then coming inside and wanting to wallow on me.

Mama Doe Lassie hasn't been by the last couple days. Maybe today; after all, we do have her corn again.

We still have three very stubborn hummingbirds hanging about. I wonder what they'll eat soon, as the weather's finally turning right chilly at night.

Oof! Spot's laying on one arm and kneading biscuits on my shirt. time to trim claws.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
When I got up yesterday morning, I stepped right into kitty puke. Got that (and my foot) cleaned up and realized Alex had barfed on the bed, too, so the spread and sheets had to be washed. He was nice enough to barf again on the tile floor, then the cocktail table. He does that sometimes, just throws up over and over for a day, then he's fine.

We took Mom down to stay with sister today, and said goodbye to nephew.

Spot is missing all the laps, and Alex is back in mine. I've apparently not caught up on all the missing sleep, as I'm dropping off every few sentences.

Time to give up and call it a night.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a wonderful, meaningful Thanksgiving.

I think it's really funny that Mama Doe Lassie is getting picky.

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
dogcomestoo wrote:
So, how was your Thanksgiving??

According to my sister, it was like "Christmas with the Kranks." Seems my nephew is deploying back to Afghanistan, so she wanted to combine Thanksgiving, his birthday, and Christmas all in one. With only a week to throw it together, brother actually managed to change Mom's plane tickets to here instead of to brother's, and he and Sis-in-law managed to get last minute tickets to come down, too.

We helped sister decorate her house, complete with tree, outdoor lights, the whole enchilada. Then we all came up with pepper crusted smoked turkey, baked ham, jalapeno cornbread dressing, regular cornbread dressing, apple cider turkey gravy, regular turkey gravy, Paula Deen's sweet potato casserole and southern green beans, cranberry salad, cranberry sauce, rolls, chocolate pie, pumpkin gingerbread, and crustless pecan pie.

Nephew was duly impressed -- and overfed, as were we all. It was quite a crowd, so leftovers were minimal.

All those preps meant Spot and Alex were confined to the house, so when we got home, they really, really wanted to go outside or play or both. With all the company, Spot decided anyone who sat in his rocking chair should be wallowed upon. At the moment, he's asleep on Mom's lap. Alex decided to confine his affection to me, WLToo, and my brother.

Mama Doe Lassie was not afraid of all the visitors, but she refused to let anyone except me feed her. She's spoiled now -- we were out of deer corn yesterday, so I gave her some celery. She used to like celery. But she refused to eat it and hung around a long time, trying to guilt us into feeding her corn. WLToo finally got more yesterday, so she's happy again.

At least the weather has been marvelous. Cool at night, warm days, so here it is late November, I'm wearing shorts, and the heater is not on yet.

Got up at 0400 to take brother and sis-in-law to airport, so I'm starting to wind down. Think it's nap time.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
So, how was your Thanksgiving??

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Not so windy today, but it's overcast and the high will only be in the 50s. Therefore, both Spot and Alex are hanging around inside. Alex wants to be on my lap, where he's warm, and Spot wants Alex to come down and play. This means I'm a transit or jumping off point every little while. Lot of "Oof!" going on.

A tiny, tiny hummingbird is still here, even smaller than my small thumbs. I don't know what kind of bugs are still out there for it to eat, although we still have wildflowers and the feeder for the energy.

Speaking of bugs, a five inch long giant red-headed centipede was wandering past our recycle container just a few minutes ago. It's very sluggish and quite far away from its normal feeding ground under the swimming pool edge, so I'm guessing its food sources are dwindling -- haven't seen a scorpion or wasp in quite some time.

Mama Doe Lassie just strolled up for the third time. We only feed her once a day, although now that we've committed to doing it, I might do twice a day when it decides to be cold. We're down to just a couple days of feed, but we want a proper storage container for the next 50 pounds of deer corn, to keep the bugs out of it. She'll eat the bugs if she's really, really hungry, but, well, yuck.

OOF! Sigh. Time to feed 'em. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
It was very windy today. Spot and Alex wanted to be outside, but just couldn't hack the wind in their ears. At the moment, Spot is taking up most of the leg rest on my recliner...

The hummingbirds had a lot of trouble getting to the feeder, then hanging on. Didn't see a single butterfly -- I guess they were also busy hanging on for dear life.

It's dark now, and very windy still. At least it's still warm.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Spot got another box today. As soon as he saw the FedEx truck, he ran to the door and was literally hopping about, waiting for us to bring it inside, unload it, and let him lay down in it. He is just too funny.

We humans spent the evening at Wurstfest. Great night for it. At one point, we were sitting by the river, and WLToo poked me in the belly fat and said, "I don't really mind this all that much. I did swear 'in thickness and in health.'"

I'm still laughing.

Night, y'all.

Czarny, black cat