cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Homeless Cat -- Now Spotacus' Legacy

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
On 18 Dec, a very large cat showed up at our house. It was late and cold, and he looked in the door and made it clear he wanted inside. Well, since we have two cats already and he was a stranger, we could not let him in the house. WLToo walked out and the cat ran to him, so he walked the cat into the garage and into the climate controlled room out there.

He was extremely hungry and thirsty, but in otherwise good condition and very clean. We fixed up a bed for him, set up the feeding and elimination stations, and went to bed.

Next day, we worked in the garage all day, while the big guy slept or supervised. We found him to be an intact male, no sign he's ever worn a collar, and he has a strong need to be in the general vicinity of humans. For an intact male, he's remarkably mellow - I don't think he was the alpha cat in his previous home.

Have had zero responses to the "found cat" notices around the area and online, so we'll be working with the local rescues to get him neutered and all his shots, then find him a home. We can't keep him because he's just too big for our two cats to share our small house. Alex would have another emotional meltdown, and I don't want to go through that mess again (long, ugly story).

For now, we're calling him Spot, not that he answers to it (does answer to "Kitty, Kitty"). No idea how he travels; we'll find out when we take him to the vet on Tuesday.

If anyone knows of someone who would like a large (about 15-18 pounds) cat who needs to be with people, please let me know. No cat novices, please; this cat needs someone who knows exactly how to handle an adult cat of this size, especially when he's feeling frisky.

We're at Canyon Lake, TX, so if there are any Winter Texans nearby who would like to meet him and maybe give him a home, that would be great.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more
2,045 REPLIES 2,045

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
The black and white one is much bigger than Bobbi, and WLToo saw it before we ever got Bobbi. There's a grave in the meadow of the previous owner's cat, but we don't know if it was a black one or black and white or what. Just another mystery.

Our meadow is covered in butterflies, who are migrating through -- thousands of them. I identified one, but the other won't hold still long enough for me to get a good look. Spot and Alex exhausted themselves today, chasing butterflies. It was so cute, but of course they refused to pose for any photos.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Are you sure that one of the ghost cats isn't Bobbi? I sometimes think that I see one of my departed pets out of the corner of my eye but, when I look, it isn't there. I do believe that they check in on us from time to time just to make sure we're OK...
Gary Shapiro
Shadow - 7-year-old Greyhound (aka Shadow Ninja)
Hannah - 4-year-old GSD rescue (aka the Canine Tornado)
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever
2011 G'town 280DS Class A

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
It appears we have two ghost cats in our house. WLToo occasionally sees a black and white cat out of the corner of his eye, and it's not Alex. Just a couple nights ago, I saw (from the corner of my eye) a solid black cat stroll from the hall bath into the great room. We don't have a solid black cat. Spot was sitting on the back of my recliner, just above my head, and reacted when the cat appeared, so I was not the only one who saw it.

Between the ghost cats and the occasional whiff of sandalwood, which neither of us use, WLToo's pretty well convinced we have at least one and maybe two human ghosts. Drat. He gets all the good sightings -- I get one cat and zero humans.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Gary, I hope Dash is doing ok, but I know the decision will come soon. Having made that decision so many times, I feel for you.

The weather has finally cooled enough to turn off the air conditioner and open the house to the breeze. I do love late autumn in the Hill Country -- highs in the 70s, lows in the 50s or 60s. Just wonderful.

Mama Doe Lassie still comes for her daily corn, but she's so spooky now that the slightest movement causes her to jump. She only relaxes a little when we're sitting on the porch while she eats. Spot dashed up last night, all nervous, and that set her off again. The stags have everyone on edge.

Spot has gotten รผber affectionate. He's even crawling up on WLToo now, the same way he plops on me.

We still have one hummingbird. We don't see it much, since there are so many wildflowers still blooming in the meadow, but as long as I see it land on the feeder, we'll keep nectar out there.

It's too beautiful to stay inside and type on the computer. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Dashonthedash wrote:
Wanderlost wrote:
but dang... Won't be attending the H.O.G. chapter Halloweed party tonight (grumble, complain)

I hope that was a typo :B:W

Sigh, shoulda been HalloweeN. I'm obviously not as observant as usual when on antihistimines, Gary.

Sue, you just described Spot's fascination with boxes. At the moment, he's zonked in a big box. Only his tail is sticking out.

Mama Doe Lassie came to the door yesterday and put muzzle prints on the glass. WLToo had left her dish on the north porch, so I had to retrieve it before giving her some corn. She didn't want to back up and give me room to get the dish, until she nuzzled my hand and found it empty. Great, deer snot on my hand. But she did move, I got the dish, and went back inside to get the corn. When I came back, the door was open and she had her head inside the door, sniffing the air and making Alex highly nervous. After another little human/deer dance, she backed up so I could go outside. I put the dish down very carefully, since she was so close that she was already eating from it. I saw she has a couple of cactus spines in her left shoulder, but while she's fine with touching me, I'm not so sanguine about touching her. Pulling out a cactus spine is painful; doing so with deer hooves within range is a "not even gonna think about trying that" thing.

There's a hummingbird hovering in the window. Guess the feeder needs a refill.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Sue_Bee
Explorer
Explorer
My cat has two boxes, both from Costco, which serve as her "cloaking devices". She seems to think that no one can see her when she is in the box, even when her head is sticking out like a trophy buck.

We take these boxes with us for her when we are camping, or when we go to my MILs, she seems to see them as a bit of home, and it makes her more comfortable.

ANY box that comes into the house must be investigated, and fitted for cat. Some are not even big enough, but she needs to get in to see if it is suitable.

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
Wanderlost wrote:
but dang... Won't be attending the H.O.G. chapter Halloweed party tonight (grumble, complain)

I hope that was a typo :B:W

Gary Shapiro
Max, Dash (GSDs), Willow, Dot, Allan, Lily (Greyhounds), and Molly(GSD Mix), at the Bridge and in my heart forever

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Aarrgh! The humidity keeps changing day to day, so my sinuses are totally out of whack. Antihistimes, thyme tea, and naps in my recliner are keeping me reasonably functional, but dang... Won't be attending the H.O.G. chapter Halloweed party tonight (grumble, complain).

The bucks are on the prowl. WLToo is getting photos of as many as he can; I'll share some when he's done. There are some really magnificent racks, and some that are so messy they're funny.

The meadow is mostly yellow, covered in wildflowers. We managed to identify another one, while researching to see if it was one of the dreaded invasives. Nope, it's just Wild Angelica. Good. We have a food source already. Will transplant one into the keyhole garden.

We still have at least one hummingbird, although it does not come to the feeder much. The prolific wildflowers are providing most of its nectar.

Alex and Spot have decided inside is better for now. The temps dropped from the mid-80s yesterday to 50 today, with a stiff breeze. No need to turn on the heater, but we have donned long pants instead of our usual shorts. Naturally, the boys think that's the signal for long-term lap napping.

Meds time. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Mama Doe Lassie now comes up for her corn in the morning. She's leaving nose prints on the door glass...

Yesterday, as she ate, I noticed a fawn walking our fence line, and a larger fawn or doe down near the gate. I got the remote and opened the gate, and both of them strolled out and across the street. Mama Doe Lassie watched all this as she finished her corn. Then she looked at me, gave that little deer rumble sound several times, then trotted down the hill and out the gate. I guess she was telling me thanks for her not having to jump the fence. That's the second direct communication we've had. Apparently, she thinks I can be trained.....

WLToo is mowing the coastal bermuda around the house and garage. We're still leaving the rest of the meadow as a wildscape, since it's been filling in the bare spots so nicely. We might mow the meadow in December, just so we can scatter more wildflower and wild grass seeds, and cut back on the taller grasses so we can see the wildflowers bloom in March. Otherwise, we really like the natural look out there.

Not doing much wildlife observation right now, since my sinuses are so out of whack. Mostly just finding positions where I can breathe, then dealing with two cats who think those positions are ideal for cat naps. Wheeze.

Time for more antihistimines. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
We're all fine. Been boondocking without internet access (and with a busted water heater). Love those RV adventures...

The boys have been taking turns getting into trouble, so it's been quite lively of late. Now that the weather's cooler, Spot is more than happy to play outside until we carry him inside. We returned yesterday from Costco with a box of stuff, to find Spot up on the kitchen counter, trying to open a collapsed cardboard box we were about to recycle, so he got yelled at. While we emptied the Costco box, Spot went out on the south porch. I called him, showed him the Costco box, and he couldn't get back into the house fast enough to get into that box. He had to have been born in a box...

Alex went hunting last night, not returning until 1:15 am, so he didn't go outside at all today. Doesn't seem to be bothering him much, though, so I guess the early stages of deer rut are freaking him out.

Speaking of deer, Mama Doe Lassie comes up, but barely eats much deer corn or veggies at all before she gets spooked and runs away. Solo joined her for a munch a couple days ago. Although he was born last year, he has very respectable spikes and still isn't particularly afraid of us, walking right up to the porch with Mama Doe Lassie and eating out of her dish. I did not stay outside to chat with Mama Doe Lassie that time -- don't really want to be that close to a buck with any size of antler.

We have a fair number of does hiding out in the meadow, and more than a few stags walking the fence line. Only the young and foolish ones have tried jumping into our meadow so far, and the does still run away. The two biggest bucks stay outside our meadow, but they seem to be getting most of the does' attention, from what we've seen.

We still have one or two hummingbirds, so the feeder is staying up, but we don't see too many visits. Got lots of wildflowers for them to feed from, and still plenty of bugs to eat, so these two tiny rufous are still here.

Monarch butterflies are passing through, so I've had quite a few land on me while moving about outside. It's not quite like when I was stationed at the Presidio of Monterey, CA, and the butterflies would literally cover my uniform trouser legs as I went from my apartment to car and back. Still, three or four Monarchs on bare legs can really tickle.

On bare legs: I do love living where I wear shorts 9 months of the year or more. I don't miss the winter clothes at all.

Well, my nose is running like a hose (one little change in the humidity and off it goes), so I'll stop now before I dribble on the keyboard.

Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

dogcomestoo
Explorer
Explorer
How are you doing? If everyone OK?

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
:S :B

Shoe/Shoo...love them homonyms...

Czarny, black cat

Dashonthedash
Explorer
Explorer
"so we both went out to shoe Black Kitty back home". Is that what's called a Freudian Slipper? :B:B:R
Gary Shapiro

Wanderlost
Nomad
Nomad
Yep, Susan, that Convenia shot is so worth the expense.

We got nearly 4" of much needed rain last night, with more in the forecast for today.

The native vegetation is amazing to watch. Within 24 hours of a good rain, everything brown has turned green. You can sit and literally watch the change.

Spot was being swooped upon by a large crow this morning. But the crow came very close to losing that little contest. For all that he weighs 16 pounds, Spot can be very fast when a potential birdie meal is coming his way. The crow retreated to the top of a power pole and complained for a while. Spot ignored him, in favor of staring down Black Kitty. But we didn't need him becoming involved in another fight, so we both went out to shoe Black Kitty back home. Spot is sleeping on the porch rocking chair now.

Time to do a couple things outside before the rain returns. Later, y'all.

Czarny, black cat

KLO
Explorer
Explorer
So glad to here Spot is doing better. Those abscesses can be so hard on cats, skin heals over so quickly you don't know they are there. Sure enjoy reading about your life in South Texas!