cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rabies in North Georgia

dturm
Twelve North Georgia residents are being treated for exposure to rabies after contact with domestic animals that have tested positive for the virus, a North Georgia Health District News release states.

Just a reminder that rabies vaccinations are important not only for your pets, but also for our own safety.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV
7 REPLIES 7

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
This happened quite recently in Arizona:

Man vs bobcat

The bobcat attacked a German Shepherd, a passerby stopped to help pry the bobcat off the dog, and got bitten. Later, the bobcat was shot and they found it had rabies. I haven't heard if the man has to have treatment - I'm guessing the answer is yes....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My husband once had a Belgium Shepard that got into a fight with a rabid fox. The dog killed the fox, but later his dog died of rabies even though the dog had his rabies shot. The poor dog was so sick he couldn't get up and had to be put down.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

dturm
RBak wrote:
What if a vaccinated pet comes in contact with wildlife. Our friends dog killed a skunk about a month ago, and I don't know if they had it tested for rabies. The dog was fine and did not get bitten - just sprayed. As far as I know their dog is up to date on shots. Should we be concerned about visiting them with our dog, who is current on all her shots? Just want to be sure we are all protected.

Rita

This situation is the reason we vaccinate!!! They should be protected even if the skunk had been rabid and had bitten their dog. The protocols are determined by state and/or local health departments and may vary by location, but in our area these dogs would not be under quarantine but under observation (by owner) for any signs of disease.

I wouldn't worry about visiting except for the smell :B
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
What if a vaccinated pet comes in contact with wildlife. Our friends dog killed a skunk about a month ago, and I don't know if they had it tested for rabies. The dog was fine and did not get bitten - just sprayed. As far as I know their dog is up to date on shots. Should we be concerned about visiting them with our dog, who is current on all her shots? Just want to be sure we are all protected.

Rita

dturm
Got this news brief yesterday:

4 in N.Y. treated for possible rabies exposure
Four people in Lewis County, N.Y., are receiving rabies prophylaxis after coming in contact with one of two infected cats, according to Lewis County Public Health. Northern New York will participate in a field trial beginning Aug. 7 that will distribute oral wildlife rabies vaccines.

Rabies in wildlife isn't terribly unusual in the US (bats, skunks, foxes, etc), what is a little alarming is that these recent exposures have resulted from domesticated species contact.

I substituted last week :), we had a lab that tangled with a skunk (killed it). He had no visible injuries, but his VX weren't up to date. So the protocol is to send the skunk off for testing and he is quarantined (at home) for six months.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you Dr. Doug for this information. I live in GA, and it hasn't been on the news here in the ATL area.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have also had a high number of bats in IL that have tested positive for rabies this year. The state has issued an advisory letting people know they should be aware, and to make sure their pets are vaccinated.