cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrictions on Leaving Dogs in RV's

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
Our family is planning a six month trip down the West Coast this Fall/Winter. It'll be our first RV trip and we're planning on bringing our yellow lab.

The plan is to make many stops along the way, maybe a week here and there and then continue on our journey. We're are a little concerned about bringing a pet as we've heard most campgrounds don't allow you to leave your dog unattended in an RV (due to barking). We assume they'll be days where we don't go far from the campsite, those days will be easy but what about the days you go to locations where Dogs can't accompany you or its a hassle. What do you guys do? I'm thinking getting groceries, seeing an attraction, etc. Are most campground this way or are the majority ok with leaving pets in the RV.

Any info on campgrounds that are more pet friendly or other suggestions needed.
Thanks so much.
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca
18 REPLIES 18

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaydub74 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Old-Biscuit.

Are there chains like KOA that allow you to leave pets unattended in an RV. That would make planning easy as we could just stay at a single chain of campgrounds.

I agree, if it were summer and days were hot we would not leave our pet in the RV. I would worry power might cut out there would be an issue. But being as we'll be traveling in the fall winter days should be cooler. I'm sure we'll hit some warmer days in Southern California that may require AC or bringing him along.

Old-Biscuit. What do you do with your dog when you go somewhere dogs can't accompany you? When you left your pet in the RV was it against pet policy or was it just a CG that allowed that.

I agree with your statement that pet policies are needed for the reasons you stated above. All pets are different, and a blanket policy is sometimes required to maintain the peace.

Josh

We went to CGs based on our need of having a site every night.
Only thing we were concerned with....allow pets.
Yep.....broke the rule/unattended pet.

Depending on where we were going whether she stayed in RV or not.
Most of the time she went with us as we rarely went were she couldn't go.
But when we did go to places like that she stayed in RV at CG.

We did keep her on a leash and picked up after her when she pooped.

We didn't understand the 'must be on leash at all times rule' but we kept her leashed even when unattended........one rule breaking was enough.
(hopefully the 'sarcasm' was noticed)

In other words......what went on/goes on inside my RV is my business. And as long as no complaints of 'dog barking' it will continue to be our business. The only time she is going to be barking is if someone is trying to get in...and then she can bite them!

ON EDIT:

You KNOW how your dog behaves.......act/plan accordingly
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jaydub74
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the reply Old-Biscuit.

Are there chains like KOA that allow you to leave pets unattended in an RV. That would make planning easy as we could just stay at a single chain of campgrounds.

I agree, if it were summer and days were hot we would not leave our pet in the RV. I would worry power might cut out there would be an issue. But being as we'll be traveling in the fall winter days should be cooler. I'm sure we'll hit some warmer days in Southern California that may require AC or bringing him along.

Old-Biscuit. What do you do with your dog when you go somewhere dogs can't accompany you? When you left your pet in the RV was it against pet policy or was it just a CG that allowed that.

I agree with your statement that pet policies are needed for the reasons you stated above. All pets are different, and a blanket policy is sometimes required to maintain the peace.

Josh
2014 Kodiak 284 BHSL
2010 Ford F350 V10 Crew Cab
Full Timing: 2 Adults, 1 Toddler, 1 Yellow Lab
www.randomgoodness.ca

Not_a_Clue
Explorer
Explorer
Most of those rules are aimed at leaving your pet outside unattended and for pets that bark all the time while left in RV.
Linda B.
Our Blog
2009 29' Fleetwood, Fiesta V10 - The Little Bus
2008 Saturn Vue (Toad)with US Gear UBS
& Demco baseplate and tow bar.
FMCA# F412985
Traveling with Robin(friend)& Buddee(cavalier)

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
CGs' have that rule for a reason......
Unattended pets cause problems for neighbors (barking etc.) and due to safety concerns/liabilities (RV catches fire, floods, loss of power/hot etc.)

We traveled with a large dog for 7 yrs. We did leave her 'unattended' at times but we were always mindful of the 'clock'..........5 hrs. max
She just slept while we were gone (YES I have checked by sneeking back, asking neighbors etc. just like she did in the S&B)

A/C Unit was set for 78* and the Fantastic Fans were set for 85* so there would always be air movement.

YEP...CGs have rules about unattended pets. Such is life.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31