cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Securing our pooch

Land_Yachters
Explorer
Explorer
We are new to Rving, but now have a recently purchased Tiffin 33. In addition to a new RV we are planning to go full time at the end of the year, we figured we would get a puppy...why not? Anyway, we haven't taken our pooch on a drive yet. She is 6 mo old or so, and getting pretty big, about 35 lbs. Anyway, we want to make sure she is secure as we go down the road. There is a couch behind our seat and when I had a dog years ago, I would use a latch to secure her to the seat belt in the car. Is that a good idea? I want to make sure our dog is safe and also make sure we are safe and she doesn't get underfoot or god forbid hurt in an accident. Any thoughts?

griff
Land Yachters
Griff, Ali and Coco
Philadelphia, PA
2018 Tiffin 33AA
2018 Grand Cherokee
6 REPLIES 6

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not do that. It might be right for you.
I take my dogs everywhere all the time.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to start taking the pup on drives to get it use to riding in the vehicle.

By six months old my Collies had already been to about a dozen states.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
I have a cushioned, chest harness for my 90 lb chocolate labrador retriever. It has connection rings at the front and rear of the handle which I tether to the seat belt of the couch. The tethers are 3 feet and I can hook two together which permits him to get off the couch for water or a stretch. For the most part, he sleeps while we are driving. He insists that we stop for a short walk every 90 minutes of driving. In the event of a sudden stop, he is protected in a crash.

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
They make truck rear seat covers for dogs. They also stretch all the way across the leg opening so the dog can stretch out. It would also provide space so the dog wouldnโ€™t roam to the front or fall if braking. Train your dog well and Iโ€™ll be an excellent traveling companion.

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Does she use a crate home?? We have 2 20#rs that travel togethed in largish crat straped to couch 1 strap around crate & back of seat other strap around crate firmly strapped to the seat. Works very well. More uses than that during a trip.

JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Is your plan that the latch will secure a leash attached to a dog collar?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad