cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seizures in dogs (update on Bud) last page

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wednesday morning at 3am and again at 7:20 Bud had a seizure. This is the first that I'm aware of. I took Bud to the vet who gave him a shot of Valium. He has not had a problem since. The vet said it could be epilepsy or possible because of being older a brain tumor.

For those of you that have dogs that have seizures is there foods you avoid? Or diet that helps?

The vet who I agree with did not want to start him on meds unless it repeats.

Bud does not want to eat dog food but will eat people food. He has wanted less and less dog food as time has went on.
19 REPLIES 19

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seizures can be caused by a lot of things. My Rottweiler Harley has them and we spent a lot of time looking at environmental factors before we ruled them out. The most common seizures are caused by Epilepsy and start occurring in dogs that are 3-4 years old. That's the type that Harley has and they are not related to food, pesticides, or other environmental factors.

Harley takes phenobarbital and potassium bromide to control his seizures and he gets a shot of Valium when he has a seizure. The phenol and potassium bromide help, but Harley still has seizures every month or so. Sometimes he has cluster seizures. He's had as many as 7 in a six hour period. These can be fatal.

In addition to the Valium, our vet recommended giving him something sweet after he comes out of the seizure. It helps them recover faster. We keep a quart of vanilla ice cream in the fridge just for Harley. He heads straight for the fridge as soon as he recovers his wits.

Good luck with this. It's really sad to see a great dog suffering with this.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Triker33 wrote:
Quit giving him people food and he will eat more and more dog food when he gets hungry.
We found this does not always work with older dogs. My Gyp (Border Collie) stopped eating dog food and lost 20% of her body weight (starting from a thin 32 lbs) without ever showing signs of wanting to eat the food she'd been on for years. At that point she HAD to eat so we starting looking for anything she would willingly eat to keep her from wasting away.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Boxer_Lovers
Explorer
Explorer
We add half a wiener, cut up over Purina One dry dog food. Occassional snack of duck jerky from WalMart.

Try to wean your dog off people food. Some things like garlic or chocolate can be very harmful.

Ask your vet if any medications such as topical fea/tick
meds or heartworm med could be a factor.
Dave, Robin, and Buster the Boxer
2008 Beaver Contessa, 42, Caterpillar 425
Toad 2017 Ram 1500, Quad Cab, Limited, M&G brake, Blue Ox.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We had an Epi dog. He started seizing around 4 years. 3-4 times per week. Our vet wanted to put him on Phenobarb.

I searched the web and the Epi dog forums said to change foods.

We switched from Science Diet to California Natural and he went from 3-4 a week to 3-4 a month to 3-4 per year.

We switched his 6-7 year old healthy mom at the same time for convenience sake and her eyes cleared up, ears were healthier, her coat got nicer and her energy level went through the roof.

Since your dog sounds older, it may indeed be a tumor or something else but it cant hurt to try a food change. BTW, they loved the better food.

We have since switched to Fromms. Family owned, never had a recall ever.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Triker33
Explorer
Explorer
Quit giving him people food and he will eat more and more dog food when he gets hungry.
Larry Full Time Since 99
1999 34Q Discovery DP ISB 275HP 6 Speed Allison
VMSpc | Pressure Pro
14 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost Toad

Click here to see where I am