cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Valarm app Sound and Temp sensor review

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
I've posted a bit about the Valarm app in Tech forum, however my use of the product is strictly as a pet monitor. The app can be found at http://www.valarm.net/

Iโ€™ve had a chance to put the Valarm app through some good testing on a recent trip. A few things first: It is an android app so no iPhone. Also, in order to use the temperature sensor, the phone used must have โ€˜USB to goโ€™ capability (ability to access a remote drive or other device connected through USB). There is a list of tested and compatible devices on the Valarm web-site. I found a very inexpensive Sony Xperia ST25 on ebay ($75), purchased the app ($11), a Y cable($9) and temperature sensor ($32).

The app includes the use of built in phone sensors (light, movement, gps, sound) and nothing else would be needed if thatโ€™s all you wanted to monitor. I wanted to monitor sound (barking) and temperature so the additional sensor and cable were needed. The set-up is not too elaborate but working through all the available menus and options can be a bit tricky. Once set, though, the system performs wonderfully. I set the temp sensor at a high of 80 and a low of 60. For sound, the app allows a specific environment to be calibrated. For instance, AC fan running, the ambient fan noise will not trigger the sensor. The app can send text, email or both. I choose both just to be sure messages were coming over. In addition I choose to have alarms set no more than every two minutes. Finally, I set to record sound for 30 seconds after each sound alarm.

I knew I should never receive a temperature alarm on this trip since the conditions were very mild. So, I anticipated the sound alarm on a few occasions. Sure enough while at dinner I received two text and emails, both 4 minutes apart and nothing else for remainder of evening. Upon returning I was able to review the recording and could hear car doors closing at site next door which caused our new puppy to โ€˜woofโ€™ basically at a level that I would be difficult to hear outside. This was a good sign and itโ€™s nice to actually be able to hear what was going on. Now things get a bit more interesting. A few days later we were visiting at a friendโ€™s house. I started getting multiple message and grew concerned that either the dogs were making too much noise or something was disturbing them. I sent a text to โ€˜DOGS CALLMEโ€™ and the app calls my phone back. I could listen in and hear only paws padding on floor, no barking at this time. Once we got back and listened to the recordings, someone knocked on our door which caused both dogs to bark for a few minutes. Found out later that staff was going around telling people no fires were allowed that night due to wind.

Overall, Iโ€™m very impressed with this tool and it has made the few times we do leave our dogs in camper much more enjoyable and safe. The app is extremely powerful and offers much more than what Iโ€™ve described here. Bottom line, it works as intended and allows a bit of peace of mind. The temp sensor probably will not come in too handy until we get to some spring camping in Florida but so far the sound sensor has proven worthwhile.
2014 Berkshire 360QL
1 REPLY 1

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
I had heard of an app like that (not sure if yours is the one) but never knew anyone who had it. Thanks for the review.