cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2005 Fleetwood Pop-Up - Rack Track Seal

Jcr4sh7
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all! This is my first time posting and I am hoping someone can provide me some assistance. The rack track on my pop up camper I just bought used has a leak in the seam. I was able to get off the rack track with no problem. Now I am at the point of deciding how to fix it. I have included a link below to a video I uploaded on youtube detailing the issue I am concerned with. The basic gist is to answer two questions:

1 - What should I use to reseal the crack and should I clean off the stuff that is there before I put in new stuff?

2 - Should I removed the entire panel while I have the rack track off or should I just seal it up and move on with my life?

The link to the video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CewHMgzyVk
4 REPLIES 4

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Jcr4sh7 wrote:
1 - What should I use to reseal the crack and should I clean off the stuff that is there before I put in new stuff?

My local dealer who for years sold Coleman / Fleetwood popups offered a service for this common problem with the AlumiTite (a.k.a. AlumiLeak) roof, as follows.

After removing the rack track and cleaning up the surfaces as well as you can seal any screw holes with lap sealant, even under the seam edges if you can, then using flat head stainless steel screws secure the seam down again. Apply a thin layer of sealant atop the seam and once it's cured apply butyl tape to the channel or if you prefer to the underside of the rack track. Reverse the track front to back so any new screw holes will end up in a different location and screw the track back down. Apply lap sealant atop each screw head and along all the edges of the track.

2 - Should I removed the entire panel while I have the rack track off or should I just seal it up and move on with my life?

No. If you really want to see how much damage has been done (and you probably don't :E ) you'd want to pull the ceiling down from the inside. That's a LOT of work and if you really want full access should be done by removing the roof entirely from the trailer and flipping it upside down so you have full access to the ceiling. If it were me I'd seal the tracks, call it good, and just get as much use out of the camper as I could. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Pop up explorer is dead, most of the knowledgeable posters have fled due to an unmoderated troll.

The best place for pop up info is the forum at http://www.popupportal.com
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Beer_Belly
Explorer
Explorer
I would post this question in the Pop Up section, and also go to "PopUpExplorer.Com" (I believe that is the site) and post there also. On one of these two sites there was a person who removed the tracks completely, filled any cracks or holes and recoated the entire roof with some product....came out pretty nice.
*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming - "WOW, What a ride!"