cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Discovery Front End Noise

YZ450Frider
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Discovery 36J with 3,500 miles and have a noise in the front end that may be best described as a "klunking sound" like there is a shock mount rubber missing. This noise occurs at any speed and it doesn't take a very rough road to make it happen. We live on a well maintained dirt road and when we leave we have to go about a quarter mile to reach pavement. This noise can even be heard if I drive slow (5 MPH) on this road. I have been under the rig many times looking for this problem and have done several things but to no avail. Has anyone experienced a similar problem and if so, what was your fix?
6 REPLIES 6

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a suspension issue. These are sometimes difficult to observe without unloading the weight from the axle ends, i.e. hoisting.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JanLiz
Explorer
Explorer
S Cams in the brake drums?
Jan & Liz
2005 FW Expedition 38N Cat 300
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The Great Outdoors, Titusville, FL
Villas, Cape May County, NJ
Rupinski Blog

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
You could have your DW/GF/friend/significant other/brother/sister/uncle/aunt/postman/complete stranger drive the MH while you move around and try to isolate the noise more. If it can be produced at slower speeds you may even try to walk next to it.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
Does it go away if you ride the brake?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

Harvard
Explorer
Explorer
This sounds very familiar. We also have a 1/2 mile of gravel before the hard top. We had the clunking for a long time before I figured out the cause. At one point I was suspecting one of the front wheel bearings having lateral play.

So, what was causing the clunking?

There was a 15" long metal support bracket from the frame to the front of the LH fiber glass fender well and the screw that held the bracket to the fender well had rusted away. So, in my case, it was this LH front fender well clunking against the support bracket that made the noise.

And, the reason it was not so easy to spot, this connecting screw on the inside of the fender well was buried in foam.

Good luck.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Start by checking shock mounts and sway bar end link bushings.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/