cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

911 Fridge issue on cross country trip. Gas mode does nada

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic RM 2611 1994 era quit running on gas yesterday. It worked on gas after I test fired it when I de winterized on Monday, so I flipped it over to ac while we loaded for the trip. When we left i left yesterday morning it flipped to gas when I unplugged shore power and we hit the road. When we stopped for lunch, the check light was on as usual because it will blow out when we buck a head wind like we did yesterday. So I re set it and we went on our way. Got to our destination in Rapid City and tried to re light it and it will not light. It runs fine on ac when on shore power, but if I put it in gas only mode, there are no lights on the panel. If I turn it on in ac mode, it starts fine, then when I flip to gas mode nothing happens. No gas valve click, no spark, no flame, no check light, nothing.

I checked the fuses in the campers fuse panel, all looks well there.

It has the upgraded Dinosaur p711 board installed long before I bought the camper,but I suspect it must have died. I checked the fuse on the board and the 5 amp is good. There is an empty slot for a 30a fuse but there is nothing there and hasn't been since I bought the camper.

Does anyone have any other things I should check before I track down a new board?

Please and thank you!
1994 S&S 9.5' SC-B, StableLift, 2x6V golf cart batteries, LED interior lights
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW CTD 48RE to G56 6-speed conversion, Quadzilla 65HP Chip
9 REPLIES 9

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
Another update..... I discovered that when the thermostat hits the cut out temp, the burner shuts off, requiring me to reset and relight it regularly. Though doable, it was proving to be a hassle, si I tracked down an igniter in Kansas City and replaced it.

All is well now!
2005 Dodge 3500 4x4 QC DRW CTD 48RE to G56 6-speed conversion, Quadzilla 65HP Chip

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
Going on 3 hours and it stayed lit after manually lighting it with a lighter, so I'm doubting flame sensor at this point and leaning heavily towards igniter.

Thanks again!

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys for all the input.

Took the kiddos to Reptile Gardens and then jumped back on it when I got back,

I got it to light and stay lit for 5 mins so far manually with a lighter stick, and will keep it on propane for a few hours tonight and monitor it.

I think what happened is the board flipped out from trying to re light with a bad igniter. At least I will make it thru thru this trip this way.

If it stays lit its probably not the flame sensor and most likely the ignition module.

Thank you for the advice and direction everyone

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
When the gas valve clicks on, try lighting it manually. If it lites, then it maybe just needs a new igniter/flame sensor.
If all else fails, and you need to run it on gas, just hot wire 12v to the gas valve, manually lite it. If it won't lite, the gas valve is bad ??? If it lites, let it burn several hrs till stuff get very cold, then un hook 12v.
You don't need to burn at nite, just fire it once or twice during the day for several hrs.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
Cleaned connectors and tired voltage at all appropriate areas. Tested gas valve. Ground is good. Discovered that if I disconnect from shore power the gas valve clicks on but there is no sparking. I checked voltage at the board for the ignition sparked as well as the gas valve and am getting +12vdc at both pins, so the board is good. Must be gas valve or igniter, but it would appear that the board is functioning properly

Note. I do not smell gas when the gas valve kicks on

Continuing to dig......

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would check the ground for your gas valve. Do you have lights on the inside above the refrigerator showing that it is working or any codes? Do you have 12 V going to the control box?

4xMike
Explorer
Explorer
Burner area is clear. Air is all purged from lines and and water heater, stove/oven all run great. When turned onto gas mode absolutely nothing happens. Gas valve doesn't click, no spark or no flame.. Usually, when it was working, when starting on gas mode, the gas valve clicks, the igniter sparks once per second and then poof, a flame.

Will try to reseat electrical connections and report back. Thank you

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check the burner area for debris. Check if the burner lights or if you get a spark. Unplug all wire connections and reconnect to improve electric connection.

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
Light the stove top for awhile & see if that helps.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74