cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

12V plug in for inverter

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Anybody else notice that if you draw near the max rated power for your inverter that the ciggy plug cable gets QUITE hot?
10 REPLIES 10

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
1775 wrote:
These little inverters are not intended for what some want to power with them.

But still (try to) do it anyway. :S

For those who do want to do it right the solution is simple - just refer to a DC Wiring Chart like this that will tell you what gauge and length of cable is required for the maximum load you intend to draw. Since I (current in amps) is calculated by dividing P (power in watts) by V (volts, in this case a nominal 12 vdc) it's easy to calculate the correct wire gauge - e.g. a 300 watt inverter drawing full load would draw 300/12 = 25 amps. Look at the chart and that will tell you what gauge cable you need for the length you want to run.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Explorer
Explorer
We had a fairly good inverter that not only caused the 12 volt outlet to get hot but also the inverter itself (which had a fan) got very hot. These little inverters are not intended for what some want to power with them.
Roadtrek 190 Popular 2011

Meryl and Me Hit the Road

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Anybody else notice that if you draw near the max rated power for your inverter that the ciggy plug cable gets QUITE hot?

That's why I hard wired my 300w Samlex PSW inverter. Came with the plug, but I threw it in a drawer.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will melt your solder on the connection. I wouldn't do that unless you get a matched BLUE SEA PLUG and SOCKET rated for a specific current rating.

All of my battery connections are using terminal lugs just for that very reason.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If it is a 300 watt inverter it would love to draw 30 amps running flat out. Cigarette lighters were never intended for that sort of load.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yes just as expected with any circuit drawing near max rating.
Get some #6 wire and a 50 amp connector and everything will cool down.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen them smoke and catch "smolder" so it isn't merely annoying.

MrWizard
being strictly a power related question

it was moved from technology corner
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Ciggy lighter outlets are usually rated for 10, maybe up to 15amps
That translates to 120 to 180 watts.
MOST inverters are going to push that limit so yes, they will get hot! What is the rating on yours and what are you powering with it?
Inverters (other than very small ones) SHOULD be hard-wired (with a fuse) direct to the battery with heavy wiring to handle the current draw.
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.