cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AC power problem

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
After driving rv on a couple errands I hooked up shore power as usual to house but this time blew house breaker. Tried another outlet, same thing. Shut main breaker in rv and plugged in again and have 120 right to the main breaker. If I flip it on it blows again at house. I checked all exposed wiring and connections and found no visible problems. I seem to be stuck as to how to continue the troubleshoot from here.
Thanking in advance for all available help
25 REPLIES 25

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks CA Traveler. Sorry for my misunderstanding. Leaving main on in rv and turning on others it was the portable appliance breaker that tripped the gfci. The fridge is now running on propane and other outlets seem to work ok. Not sure what is running off this breaker. How can I tell? Thanks in advance

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And you're not carifying your house plug situation. If every house plug you've used is on a GFCI circuit then the problem may be related to a "ground fault" vs over 20A current.

The unanswered questions can help to isolate the probem.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
JR51 wrote:
With shore power hooked to house gfci and rv breakers off I then turn on breakers in rv one at a time and when I turn on main breaker this causes the house gfci to trip. The breaker in rv does not trip
Wrong way. Turn all RV CBs OFF. Turn on main RV CB, if GFCI OK then turn on each of the remaining RVs one at a time checking to see when the GFCI trips. This has been previously expained.

Bob

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
With shore power hooked to house gfci and rv breakers off I then turn on breakers in rv one at a time and when I turn on main breaker this causes the house gfci to trip. The breaker in rv does not trip

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
GFCI tripping in house could be a bad element in refer.
Un plug the refer and try again.
Tripping of GFCI indicates that there is current flowing on ground wire. Refer element going to ground is often issue.
No, refers are not connected to rig's GFCI in many cases.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bazar01
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:

If main doesn’t trip, turn on the branch circuit breakers one at a time to see which one causes the issue.

^^^ this.

At the RV, turn off main and branch circuit breakers.
Hook up shore power.
Turn on main breaker.
Turn on one branch circuit breaker at a time to see which one causes the house breaker to trip.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is the result of testing as wnjj suggested?

Do you have a dedicated 20A non GFCI plug on a dedicated 20A CB that you can try? Most household circuits have 20A CB and multiple 15A plugs.

Bob

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
The main breaker does not trip in rv as explained. The GFI is 20 amp at house and no other connections on it other than my shore power. Had no problems past 4 months tripping it. I tried 3 other outlets on house and all tripped too.
I have checked all exposed wiring from main box to panel and converter/charger and see no sign of unconnected, loose or wires touching.
At a loss how to continue. Could it be in the converter/charger?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Is this the rig that had the converter or inverter issue?
Make and model of rig?
Start by inspecting the 120 volt AC distribution panel. Look for damaged wiring.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is the house (not the RV) CB a GFCI? Is it 20, 30 or 50A?

Do you have house loads on the circuit in addition to the RV loads that are causing the CB to trip?

Bob

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn off all of the other breakers then turn on the main. If it still trips and there are no loose/shorted wires inside the panel, replace the main breaker. They can go bad,

If it doesn’t trip, turn on the branch circuit breakers one at a time to see which one causes the issue.