cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

AC power problem

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
After driving rv on a couple errands I hooked up shore power as usual to house but this time blew house breaker. Tried another outlet, same thing. Shut main breaker in rv and plugged in again and have 120 right to the main breaker. If I flip it on it blows again at house. I checked all exposed wiring and connections and found no visible problems. I seem to be stuck as to how to continue the troubleshoot from here.
Thanking in advance for all available help
25 REPLIES 25

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced faulty fridge receptacle and problem solved. Thanks to all who contributed to this post

MrWizard
Loose wire, dirty wet outlet
Check for signs of water leak
Clogged drain tube for fridge, can cause back up and over flow of defrost water
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Did you check the element to ground?
Loose connection could have caused damage in outlet.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
I tested ohms on fridge heater element and in range at 42. No sign of any discoloration on insulation. But, when I unplugged fridge before checking ohms I noticed plug ends were black. Removed cover and outlet and wires leading to it were fried which is the cause of tripping gfci in house. Will replace outlet but any thoughts on the cause? Unit is a 1996.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The refrigerator has a 120 volt element. Many tomes they go to ground when failing. Often the insulation is damaged where the wires enter the stack.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MrWizard
Fridge 120v electric heating element
Look at the stack/tube going up the side of the fridge from the burner
You will find two black wires sticking out and going to the control board
That is the 120v 340watt heating element that makes the fridge work when using electric power instead of the propane flame,
Sometimes they develop a current leak to the metal case of the element which is screwed into the stack,
This grounds the 120v electric you get a gfi trip or a circuit breaker trip
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Will check element .ohms should be 40-45.freezer is building a little frost.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I am still thinking the refer element is going to ground. It could be intermittent.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Found out portable appliance outlet only needs to be on when inverter is in use. All other electronics are fine.
Still not sure how gfci blew in galley and will try and trace wires checking for continuity. A quicker solution is to run wires to it from another outlet close by. Yes, no? I will now leave off breaker that feeds it from inverter. Inverter does not show power to any outlets when running. output from inverter reads 110.8. Any further suggestions?

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Have you tested for 120 volt AC output right at the inverter?

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

MrWizard
This breaker feeds the inverter
The inverter has pass thru to this outlet
Either this outlet has failed
Or
The inverter has a problem
I can explain it to you.

1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JR51
Explorer
Explorer
Traced it to the gfci outlet in galley. Wires going to outlet are dead so its between portable appliance breaker and outlet. All other electrical functions are operating as normal. Not sure if the issue has anything to do with my ongoing inverter issues but when inverter is on,this particular outlet is the only power source in rv. Have not run inverter in a while though and not sure how to tackle that issue

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
Portable appliance
Kitchen outlet
Or outside outlet
Outlet in storage compartment
Outside outlets sometimes get water in them
X2 With all other breakers on check every plug and the dead ones are on that circuit.

Note: GFCI's are designed to detect very small amounts of leakage to ground. Moisture in a plug that you can't see can be the cause and outside plugs are the most likely.

You can take off the covers and dry them out as a check, it may not be moisture however. With power off pulling the plug might revel the cause. It may come down to disconnecting the wires to isolate the problem. It can also be a wiring problem like a screw penetrated the wiring, fortunately not as likely.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MrWizard
Portable appliance
Kitchen outlet
Or outside outlet
Outlet in storage compartment
Outside outlets sometimes get water in them
I can explain it to you.