cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

air conditioner on generator

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
My AC's won't run on the generator but work fine hooked up to land power. The power monitor indicates I am getting 50 amps but the trouble code on the AC's indicate no 120 volt power. The breaker switch on the generator is on. Appreciate your thoughts.
THX
6 REPLIES 6

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Turn off the inverter. Then check for 120 volt power at the outlets.

If you can not turn off the inverter then disconnect the negative cable that leads to the inverter.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
to answer the questions. It has an automatic transfer switch. Can't tell regarding the 120 volt outlets because the inverter has them live all the time..

babun
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that your power monitor shows 50 amps????

to "get" 50 amps there would have to be a complete circuit. Is that what the monitor "thinks" is available?

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have any other 120v power in your RV when running the generator? Lights are 12v so they don't count. Try the outlets to see if they are hot on the generator.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Y-Guy
Do you have to plug the power cable inside the bay? Or is there a manual switch to change from generator or shore power? Our Winnebago has both requirements. Our previious 5er had an automatic transfer switch, which did lock up a few times meaning I had no generator power but I had shore power. While I was unplugged and generator off I firmly tapped (with butt end of a big screw driver) on the cover plate and then opened up the ATS and blew it out. I would then alternate between shore & generator, it locked up once more but after that I didn't have a problem. I sort of prefer the manual mode now, if it doesn't work it's my fault not some magnetic gizmo.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
About all you can do is get out your voltmeter and start tracking things down.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman