Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any Caterpillar experts here?

csracing
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everyone,

We recently purchased a 1998 Tradewinds on a Freightliner chassis. It has a Cat 3126B engine. Drove great on the way home and ultimately suffered a high pressure oil pump failure shortly thereafter. I replaced the pump and all filters. Once I got it started I had flash codes 72, 73 and 74 present which are injector driver codes. From what I read that meant reman ECU. I found a place to reman my ecu. They found some failed capacitor on the circuit board pertaining to the injector circuits and replaced them. I got the ECU back and it starts the engine but now I have codes 15, 25, 27 and 32. These are all sensor codes, 2 of which result in a low power operating mode. I sent the ECU back as it seems to me like the regulated sensor supply voltage could be an issue. They told me codes were not active but they cleared them.

Haven't received the ECU back yet but I'm hoping someone with more experience than me can help figure out why the engine starts and runs fine but does not make much power anymore. The injector control pressure regulator was replaced with the pump. Where do I need to be looking?

Thanks in advance.
4 REPLIES 4

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
wolfe10 wrote:
larry cad wrote:
Brett Wolfe is the Cat expert on here. Hopefully he reads your post.

I am pretty good on the "care and feeding" of Caterpillar engines (and Cummins for that matter), but not the electronic troubleshooting.

Agree-- install the new ECU, reverify good solid connections, particularly the ground wire to block and THEN see what you have.

๐Ÿ™‚
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:

I am pretty good on the "care and feeding" of Caterpillar engines (and Cummins for that matter), but not the electronic troubleshooting.

Agree-- install the new ECU, reverify good solid connections, particularly the ground wire to block and THEN see what you have.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't be looking for solutions to a problem I don't have yet. I would suggest installing the ECU when it gets back and go from there.
Puma 30RKSS

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog