cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone change to LED's on interior?

mrad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looking for some advice from those who have change their interior lights to LED's. I as just about to purchase a set on three long ovals for $36. However, after reading the reviews, I found that some found the color of the light to be very annoying.

Curious on opinions from those who have tried it?

https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Ceiling-Fixture-Interior-Lighting/dp/B00ZR7WLEE/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529463145&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=led+rv+interior+lights&psc=1
27 REPLIES 27

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
For me the fountain of youth is actually rigid led strips. They come in different sizes. 1/2 meter, 1 meter. I had big 2 meter frames shipped from China.

My eyes dont bright lights. So I have the 1 meter frames hanging down from the ceiling 10inches and then pointed upward.

They're controlled by PWM dimmer with remote. They don't like charging voltage though. I had a company make me a special batch with different resistors that made them safe for higher voltage.

But anyone could go on eBay and type in 1 meter rigid led strips. I would get a cheap knob dimmer to dim them slightly when your batteries are charging.

They also work great on top of cabinets.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
wopachop

A lot of folks on the forum are too busy sitting in a recliner to even think of doing anything other than slipping out a credit card.

Great offer you're making I hope someone/anyone takes you up on it. One of the less mentioned aspects of lighting is that as we age, our lumen response decreases and we need brighter lighting. I need 115% of wattage LEDs to read if color temperature is changed from 5K to 3K.

Samples of real life lighting thwart the buyer, and insufficient heat sinking severely limits single fixture illumination for reading and tasks. Where is the fountain of youth 🙂 ?

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Few years ago I researched and built my own. Bought heat sinks, led drivers, and top of the line cree leds in several different color temps. This method means the led amp draw is consistent regardless of battery voltage.

Still have a ton of material. If anyone is interested send me a message. Literally have a box of stuff to make your own. If you're into tinkering you could built a better light than you can buy.

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all of our interior bulbs with cheap LEDs off of Amazon or eBay about 6 months ago. Just don't go to your local RV dealer to get them - last time I was at the dealership to fill up on propane I noticed they were still selling them for $20 a bulb! Maybe it was just old stock on the shelf.

Anyway I went with the bright white ones. Yes, they are more stark than "warm" bulbs, but I like that.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all the interior light bulbs with warm white LED bulbs bought on eBay many years ago. Some were panels and others were bulbs. Some of the panels now have some LEDs that no longer light. I think this is due to trying to stick the flat panels to a slightly curved surface. When I get around to it I will replace the panels with bulbs.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
Why not just change bulbs..

M4 has great products when I changed mine..

http://www.m4products.com/

I also changed all the bulbs and florescent tubes in our fifth wheel a few years before we sold it , also use M4products for all the bulbs and research into brightness and colors, great company to work with .
Mike
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Sandia man can you dig up the link? Sounds like a winner of a vendor.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did a full interior conversion to LEDs about 5 years ago although we used the same fixtures and just changed the bulbs. Similar to the LEDs in your link we used flatpanel LEDs but went with a warmer 3000K luminance. They are much brighter than the incandescents they replaced but have a very similar hue, we pretty much only use one side of the receptacle now to enjoy the same illumination levels.

We purchased the majority of our LEDs on Ebay from a seller highly recommended by a member here on the forum. Have had no failures going on 5 years, none of the LEDs we purchased have voltage regulation, no issues with interference or with the 14.8Vdc our Iota converter is providing during bulk charging mode. We did our conversion primarily to cut energy usage as we tend to do lots of our RVing sans hookups.

MrWizard
i bought these, and i'm very happy with them

https://www.amazon.com/Kohree-Ceiling-Interior-Lighting-Trailer/dp/B01L8CW8Q2/ref=pd_bxgy_60_img_2?_...

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
When I bought my RV 8 years ago, I replaced the automotive style bulbs with LED bulbs. Two of the fixtures were actually fluorescent so I replaced the fixtures. I decided I was tired of the old fashioned fixtures with the sliding switches. Also one of my LED fixtures occasionally had an annoying flicker. I replaced several of my fixtures with these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CZF3YTM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So far I like them. I did also get a double fixture of the same brand for the bathroom. It is really bright when both sides are switched on.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I think I bought these ones and they really are nice lights. Warm up the interior and the wife really likes them.

warm whites
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the bulbs with the bright leds on the ceiling and put the warm ones on the wall sconces. I then have the choice of lights. Replacement bulbs are cheap on Amazon and other sites.

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just change bulbs..

M4 has great products when I changed mine..

http://www.m4products.com/
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh