cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Backup camera

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Jayco Class C. The backup camera has suddenly stopped working. It is a black and white camera mounted in the driver's side sun visor. I have checked the voltage and it is getting 12 volts to the monitor, but no picture whatsoever. Does that mean the monitor itself is bad, or what else do I need to check? I have not yet pulled the cover off the camera itself, do I need to check it also, or does the camera go bad? I am assuming since it is getting proper voltage that the problem lies either in the monitor or the camera, not the wiring. What else do I need to do? Any suggestions appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
Any more suggestions before I scrap this thing?

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
10sbum wrote:
If it is like mine and has some small knobs at the bottom for contrast, lightness, ect., perhaps you might have turned one of them by accident. I have done that.

No, I don't have anything on the monitor except a rocker-type switch which says "Standby" and "On". No adjustments - it is either on or off.

One other question. Even if the camera is disconnected from the monitor, wouldn't the monitor at least light up with "snow" or plain white background? I am thinking the monitor itself is gone because it is totally dark even though 12 volts is going to it.

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
Also, How does the camera get it's power?
My 93 pace diesel pusher had a coax cable that fed BOTH power & video thru a coax cable.

RM

Don't know yet, as I have not taken the cover off the camera itself until I can buy some caulking to re-seal it. Supposed to rain this weekend and I don't need water to get inside the housing. I will keep you posted when I remove the housing.

10sbum
Explorer
Explorer
If it is like mine and has some small knobs at the bottom for contrast, lightness, ect., perhaps you might have turned one of them by accident. I have done that.
Dick & Helen

2004 Allegro 32 BA, 8.1 Chev., Allison 5 sp., Workhorse
2004 Honda CRV, Brake Buddy, Blue Ox Tow System

"Watch where you are going, remember where you have been"

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Also, How does the camera get it's power?
My 93 pace diesel pusher had a coax cable that fed BOTH power & video thru a coax cable.

RM
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

dennislanier
Explorer
Explorer
I was reading another post concerning this problem, and someone suggested hooking the monitor cable to a tv. Does this make sense, in other words, if the camera is working but not the monitor, you would get a picture on the tv? If that is correct, how would I attach the monitor cable to the tv to check it out?