cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Window knob keeps breaking, window doesn't close

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, we're having a problem with our two of our RV's windows. Our RV has two windows that slide (works great) but the two other windows don't slide, they have a knob to rotate which slowly tilts the window open (great to open when it's raining).

The knob on both of these windows keeps breaking when I try to close the window, plus, the window itself needs to "pop" into place to close. This doesn't happen ...

I understand this is the type of knob we need to replace the broken ones:
http://www.rvplus.com/wcm-window-components-window-knob-1-2-shaft-round-743ce.html?CAWELAID=60000850...
However, given that we've had the camper for about 10 months and both knobs were broken after opening/closing the windows 3-4 times, I obviously want to fix the issue rather than break a few more knobs.

Does someone know why these windows are so hard to close? Is there something in the mechanism that I can make less tight, or put some oil somewhere, or ...

Thanks,

Jorn
10 REPLIES 10

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fixed! I installed the handles suggested by IAMICHABOD (http://www.amazon.com/Hengs-JRP2160R-C-Jensen-Style-Handle/dp/B007HRI704/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1415381563&sr=8-4&keywords=rv+vent+crank) and lubed the window mechanism.

fj12ryder: yes, the plastic knobs actually break (crack).

chucknmare
Explorer
Explorer
if you have only had it for 10 months maybe your dealer will fix the problem
2004 Winnabago Adventure 38G
2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Oldme
Explorer
Explorer
The"pop" you hear is the window mechanism binding.

You are trying to force it closed and breaking knobs.
Replacing knobs will not fix the problem.

The problem lies with the parts associated with closing.
They have apparently worn and need replacing.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
mobeewan wrote:
My crank out windows use the white triangular Kinro knobs shown here on the Dyres web site.. They have splines that slip over the shafts and then secured with a screw like yours. The cranks on my windows are a bit stiff, but these seem to be pretty well made. Mine have 1/2 inch shafts. Dyers has them in both black and white and in both 1 inch and 1/2 inch shafts.

Mine use the round knobs on the same page. They were stripped when we bought used a few years ago. We replaced with the same round style and haven't had a problem since (couple of years so far)

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
My crank out windows use the white triangular Kinro knobs shown here on the Dyres web site.. They have splines that slip over the shafts and then secured with a screw like yours. The cranks on my windows are a bit stiff, but these seem to be pretty well made. Mine have 1/2 inch shafts. Dyers has them in both black and white and in both 1 inch and 1/2 inch shafts.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Just to be clear, how do the knobs break? Do they just start to spin and then strip out the splines on the inside, or do they physically crack and break apart?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
sounds to me like you need to lube the joints .

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had the same problem on those type of windows on my last RV.

It was an easy fix, Sprayed all moveable parts with silicone spray and replaced all the cheap plastic knobs with This Type of handle.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Jaxom
Explorer
Explorer
We replaced all our window & vent knobs with window crank handles. "Pot metal"?, not plastic.
Jerry
2015 Jayco Seneca 36FK
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport 2 door
2011 R & R 20' Aluminum Enclosed Car Hauler
2007 Montrose 16' Aluminum Flatbed ATV Trailer