cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stove problem

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even through our RV is less than 1 year old, one of our 2 stove burners is having troubles. We push the button to get the propane going and turn it to the flame-sign on the knob; light it and the flame comes on; but when we let go (even after holding the knob pushed in for about 30 seconds!), the flame dies. Only after trying several times, the flame stays on.

The 2nd burner has no problems whatsoever.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks,
Jorn
9 REPLIES 9

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks!
I fixed it by following your advice. The thermocouple was bent backwards on the left burner, probably because of cleaning/scraping some grease with a knife at some point in time. Additionally, there was some dried up grease underneath the top plate on the left burner which prevent propane from easily going to the side where the thermocouple is located, so the flame didn't burn on that side ...

I cleaned the underneath of the plate so now the flame forms a nice circle again and bent the thermocouple straight again. The flame now stays on by pushing the button only for a few seconds!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
jornvango wrote:
This is the one we have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMEV-8022-CARAVAN-BOAT-MOTORHOME-2-BURNER-HOB-475mm-x-370mm-PI8022-/181249143956?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a334a7494

I will check out the suggestions tomorrow in the RV, thanks!

That is the EXACT one that doug referenced.....so must be a thermocouple issue. good call doug!

Per description
The SMEV PI8022 is a 2 burner hob with a glass lid and pushbutton operated piezo ignition to both burners. Flame failure safety devices on both burners.

Flame failure would be 'thermocouple'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jornvango
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the one we have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMEV-8022-CARAVAN-BOAT-MOTORHOME-2-BURNER-HOB-475mm-x-370mm-PI8022-/181249143956?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item2a334a7494

I will check out the suggestions tomorrow in the RV, thanks!

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-2BR-1066050-Match-Lite-2-Sealed-Burners-Stainless-Steel-/321577284021?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

This is probably the model/style the OP has. You only have to have the flame lit for about 5 to 10 seconds MAX, for this style thermocoupler to stay open. Doug

PS, from the operation manual. "If the burner ignites the knob can be released after approximately 10 seconds.
2.7. The knob may now be set to the required burner position"

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
jornvango wrote:
Even through our RV is less than 1 year old, one of our 2 stove burners is having troubles. We push the button to get the propane going and turn it to the flame-sign on the knob; light it and the flame comes on; but when we let go (even after holding the knob pushed in for about 30 seconds!), the flame dies. Only after trying several times, the flame stays on.

The 2nd burner has no problems whatsoever.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to fix this?
Thanks,
Jorn

Never had a stove like that but on assorted other devices I have uses the instructions said SIXTY seconds.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Stove top burners typically don't use a thermocouple (ovens due because of thermostat)

Stove top burners have a on/off control......feeds a burner tube to the burner.
At burner is a diffuser ring and spark ignitor (piezo or electronic)

Lift up burner top...check for obstructions in burner tube, diffuser ring.
Also check for flow of propane---right at on/off control and where tube connect is orifice. It could be clogged or tube is not properly connected-------propane should flow down center of tube.

You missed the part where he stated he has to PUSH the knob in to start the flow of LP. He also stated that just one of TWO burners has this problem. That points to the 2 burner range model that you have a Thermocoupler for each burner and the Thermocoupler is either loose or defective for that bad burner. Doug

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Stove top burners typically don't use a thermocouple (ovens due because of thermostat)

Stove top burners have a on/off control......feeds a burner tube to the burner.
At burner is a diffuser ring and spark ignitor (piezo or electronic)

Lift up burner top...check for obstructions in burner tube, diffuser ring.
Also check for flow of propane---right at on/off control and where tube connect is orifice. It could be clogged or tube is not properly connected-------propane should flow down center of tube.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

btd35
Explorer
Explorer
wolfe10 wrote:
Sounds like the thermocouple is not properly located (in or near flame). Look at its location vs that on the other burner.

I agree, but add it may need to be replaced.

Tom & Beth
05,Grand Junction 35TMS
99, Dodge 3500 Dually.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the thermocouple is not properly located (in or near flame). Look at its location vs that on the other burner.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/