cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bad hydraulic leak

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Pulled into a park today and as I was hooking up electric I noticed smoke around the DS rear wheel wheel. Then it disappeared. Wife came running out and said there was smoke all over inside. Went inside and couldn't find anything. But she said the rear PS slide came out on it's own. Looked under rear of coach and could see something leaking (pouring). It is raining so I didn't crawl under to check. Thinking it is a hose or fitting problem. Supposed to be rain for the next few days. We have reservations here til after Labor Day. When rain quits I'll crawl under to check. Any other guesses as to what it could be?

Thanks
DICK
-----------------------------------------------
No rain today!!! I crawled under to try and see what broke. I couldn't get far enough under to see the area where the fluid came from. Don't want to use the levelers to lift rig since it seems to be a hydraulic issue. I can't smell so I had wife smell it and she doesn't think it's diesel fuel. I checked tranny with the dipstick and it's full so I'm still guessing it's an HWH problem. I'm in southern Illinois amd not a lot of repair places around here. Maybe a truck stop but I think I need a mobile repair tech. Not sure if slides will work

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
toad--2013 GMC Sierra Crew Cab pickup 4X4
Viet Vet '65, Ia Drang Valley survivor (We Were Soldiers)
Elks
www.4ezdaz.com Same site, different URL
7 REPLIES 7

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Back on the road!! They replaced the hose. Did everything they said they would do and on time. Awesome service!!! Colburn Electronic Controls, Marion, Illinois
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
Elks

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
The hose was rubbing on something and finally wore thru. Now waiting on parts.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
Elks

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Did that test today and slide did not move and no fluid leaks underneath. Contacted a local place and they are an authorized Tiffin repair place. They will be out on thur.

DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
Elks

acker1
Explorer
Explorer
Doug----I just checked the slide and it still has about 3" left to go. Hadn't noticed that. I will do the switch check you mentioned tomorrow in daylight (it's midnight now). I think the "smoke" was caused by the fluid hitting some hot components back there (axle, exhaust, etc). When I first looked at it I could see fluid pouring out (not misting) that's why I think it blew a connection or hose. Does that seem logical?
Will be checking out some local places for a mobile repair as I hate to move it until I actually know what happened. Don't want to cause more problems!

Many thanks for your reply,
DICK
40' 2010 Phaeton QTH
Elks

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your year Tiffin probably has the HWH slide on the Pass rear. I doubt the Slide went all he way out. It probably went out 2 to 4 inches? Is this correct? IF the Hydraulic hose for a slide either leaks or a cylinder leaks the affected room will indeed move out a few inches as it has lost its pressure to stay in. You go outside by the room and have your wife activate the switch for the slide. You will know within a few seconds if that slide has a leak. Hopefully, the leak is external. IF internal, you will see fluid and wetness on the carpet by the inside of the slide by the bed. The "smoke" was probably the fine mist that happens when a hyd leak happens from a very small pinhole. Since your wife stated inside, that probably means you will find oil inside. Doug

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
Good place for hid leaks. John Deere dealers make hoses for about a third of anyplace else.

Good Luck
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
mobil tech,s come in real handy, better call him.