cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

battery hookups

sign_man
Explorer
Explorer
can two 6 volt batteries be connected to two 12 volt batteries in order to increase the battery bank? the reason i ask is because i already have two 12 volt batteries but am thinking of getting two six volt also
"The ultimate camping trip was the Lewis & Clark expedition"

2015 palomino puma 30'rkss / 2008 toyota tundra 5.7
7 REPLIES 7

Shadow_Catcher
Explorer
Explorer
They will default to the weakest battery of the bank. Why not set up two separate banks. Bluesea makes a two bank switch.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Yup. I suggest separating only during storage with no float charge.

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
yes, it is not optimal but if the 12 volts are also flooded cell and not horrible old or something then it will be ok. If they are AGM or something then it will still work, but less than'ok', say ok-.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Absolutely

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
yes
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, they can. It may not be the most desirable arrangement (compared with identical batteries), but it will work. Two six volt batteries in series are nothing more or less than a single twelve volt battery.

Connecting dissimilar batteries in parallel is less of a problem than connecting them in series, which should pretty much never be done. Different battery chemistries or significantly different technologies can be more problematic (e.g. having both AGM and flooded batteries with different charge requirements).

Joel_T
Explorer
Explorer
Some people will break the golden rule of don't mix brands, sizes or ages of batteries.
Lance 15.5 2285 w/rockers Ram2500 4x4 CC 6.4 hemi 6spd w/3.71
Two 6v Crown 260ah / TM-2030 monitor / SC-2030 controller / Two 160w panels / EMSHW30C surge protector / 2000w inverter / TST507 TPMS