cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batwing Water Leak

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The batwing has developed a small leak. The maintenance information suggests periodic lubrication to keep seals working and I failed to do this.

Has anyone done after the fact lubrication and stopped a leak or will I likely have to replace the seals? Input appreciated.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob
24 REPLIES 24

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
Throwing a Batwing in the trash? Really? What "different antenna" did/are you now using thats better than the batwing?
Thanks

Batwing needs to be lubricates at least once/year

I don't use any OTA antenna, I'm totally satellite. I put up an omnidirectional antenna that is fixed and doesn't leak mostly to plug up the hole. I don't remember if the coax is attached to it or not, but I think it is.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
edatlanta wrote:
Mine leaked on my bed twice. After the first leak lubed it, after the second leak I removed it with a different antenna and threw the batwing in the trash. No problems since.

Since the Batwing with Wingman attachment is the best built-in RV OTA TV antenna, I would not recommend that as a solution to the OP's problem.

I never used it anyway and tired of the leaks. I can't get on the roof due to vertigo, so that sucker had to go.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
While the antenna is directional it's not very narrowly directional and doubtful that a limited blind arc has any practical effect once aimed.

I have been frustrated by that, which is why I mention it. With the OEM batwing, you can use the back side of it on the reciprocal for some stations, but with the requirement to point the front exactly at the station, that doesn't work.

I have a Jack on the Winegard mast now, and the Jack has a front side. Same problem with the blind arc. The Wingman yagi sure looks like it would too. Anyway, just my luck to park so the station I want is in the blind arc. Too bad, so sad.

I tried that yagi I posted about that rotates 360 on the Winegard mast, and it did great for that, but it is too fragile to use as an RV permanent roof mounting, so back to the Jack.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
While the antenna is directional it's not very narrowly directional and doubtful that a limited blind arc has any practical effect once aimed.

Bob

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ours leaked a couple years ago. I just bought the repair kit and installed it. Quick job and it solved the leak. It comes with a new shaft that may need to be cut to match the thickness of the RV roof.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ours leaked a couple years ago. I just bought the repair kit and installed it. Quick job and it solved the leak. It comes with a new shaft that may need to be cut to match the thickness of the RV roof.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK, to be accurate, I will just say my Winegard has that blind arc. There are stoppers on the roof part so you can't rotate it all the way around either side, leaving a blind arc. YMMV.
Photo in Profile

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
BFL13 wrote:
Winegard has that blind arc.

The blind arc didn't matter in the analogue days, so there it is. Luck of the draw whether your RV site puts you in the blind arc for the direction you want with digital.

What you want is a truly 360 degree arc AND good digital Omni solves that, but only at short distances from the stations.

The only thing accurate about this post is the part where you say the omni antenna only works at short distances from the stations.
There are NO DIGITAL frequencies, only UHF and VHF. That was true when analog programming was broadcast and it's still true today.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

tmartin000
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES, I used some spray water resistant silicone and it fixed it. That was two years ago on the Oregon Coast...lots of rain.

2009 Lance 1191
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Winegard has that blind arc.

The blind arc didn't matter in the analogue days, so there it is. Luck of the draw whether your RV site puts you in the blind arc for the direction you want with digital.

What you want is a truly 360 degree arc AND good digital Omni solves that, but only at short distances from the stations.
Photo in Profile

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Throwing a Batwing in the trash? Really? What "different antenna" did/are you now using thats better than the batwing?
Thanks

Batwing needs to be lubricates at least once/year
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chris Bryant wrote:
If itโ€™s on the 2009, I would go ahead and replace the worm gear and elevating gear- worm gear comes with new quad o rings and wave washers.
Well under $20.
Yes it's a 2009. Perhaps just lubing will work but I won't really know until it rains while traveling again and I'm not to keen on unnecessary repairs on the road especially in the rain.

Looks like I should make it home in a week and then replace the seals and make sure the coax boot is intact and lube.

Thanks for all the input.

Bob

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If itโ€™s on the 2009, I would go ahead and replace the worm gear and elevating gear- worm gear comes with new quad o rings and wave washers.
Well under $20.
-- Chris Bryant

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
edatlanta wrote:
Mine leaked on my bed twice. After the first leak lubed it, after the second leak I removed it with a different antenna and threw the batwing in the trash. No problems since.

Since the Batwing with Wingman attachment is the best built-in RV OTA TV antenna, I would not recommend that as a solution to the OP's problem.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?