cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Birth Of The Gigawatt

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Jim in Denver's Megawatt has been perverted. Larger toroid choke, 80 amp 150 volt diodes rather than 30 amp 100 volt. Panasonic 680uf caps, 10x more airflow via two external roof fans. And...

57.2 amperes* into 12.0 volts for 9 hours and 10 more or less minutes. 16.67 wide open volts. Didn't even breathe hard. Cool to touch on rectifiers and bi-polar transistors. Like having a Derringer 12-gauge.

I did delta the three positive and three negative circuit board terminal strip output screws. Total fans drive current .84 amps. Transistor life will be a "maybe".

*three instruments verification

Tinker Tinker Tinker ...
30 REPLIES 30

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
Pretty sure JID's megawatt is the same one you use. It died when conditioning some large 8d lifelines IIRC

He mailed the failed unit to Mex who found the failed transistors, and upgraded them and capacitors, and went all mad scientist on it, and now it can do 56 amps.

Which is dang impressive considering the tiny size of a Megawatt, even with two larger fans on top of it.

That's why it has Giga cooler fans, it needs it when pushing the electronic guts that hard.

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
happycamper002 wrote:
...To be met with insults and hostility "too much Mezcal, what are we discussing, bipolar mental health etc." don't contribute to the understanding that is needed to grasp what the message is.....
I don't think there was any intended insults or hostility. I think Mex understood it as having some good natured fun by those that have read his posts over the years.
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

Gene_Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
... The posts are not created for basket weaving 101 attention.
That is why we sometimes like to have a little fun with them. :B
Gene and DW Ginny
[purple] 2008 Toyota 4Runner 4.7L V8 w/factory towing option
2002 Sunline Solaris Lite T2363[/purple]

Reese Dual Cam Straight Line HP Sway Control

Proud member of the Sunline Club

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
PS The lithium joke IMHO clever and funny. But overly critical folk always seem to provide a dearth of useful imformation. Strong opinion perhaps but always lacking in information useful to others. There exists a time and place for fun learning. I try my best to avoid causing near comatose reaction. My obtuse manner is deliberate. The posts are not created for basket weaving 101 attention.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Teaching groups of cruisers I found dry aeserbic monologues brought forth thumps caused by boredom that mimicked narcolepsy. Teaching does not imply learning. Some folks can recite RBAs from Wprld Series two decades ago then yowl if they should have to memorize basic electricity. Go Figure.

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
IM RETORTING YOU ALL TO THE POWERS THAT ARE.

Mex's post is typical as his other posts we've seen in other threads.

We are all familiar with the tangents, metaphor and hyperbole. . . but there really is nothing wrong with them. Mex's post may seem cryptic demonstrated by other responders but the importance of what is being said is what matters.

To be met with insults and hostility "too much Mezcal, what are we discussing, bipolar mental health etc." don't contribute to the understanding that is needed to grasp what the message is.

Perhaps (whether) other members are just clueless is what brought this upfront. . . nobody will ever know.

Whether it is milliwatt, megawatt or gigawatt is not important.
There is an idea out there that we can all benefit from. . . and that is what this thing is all about.

We just need to think "outside the box".

Now, that's another metaphor.

All the best.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty sure JID's megawatt is the same one you use. It died when conditioning some large 8d lifelines IIRC

He mailed the failed unit to Mex who found the failed transistors, and upgraded them and capacitors, and went all mad scientist on it, and now it can do 56 amps.

Which is dang impressive considering the tiny size of a Megawatt, even with two larger fans on top of it.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
landyacht318 wrote:
This is the gigawatt, not the borg! Get your chargers straight man

Correct me then LY.... what is the basis PSU for this and how many bones did it cost, I admit, I have not followed Jim in Denvers thread on this unit.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Jim in Denver's Megawatt has been perverted. Larger toroid choke, 80 amp 150 volt diodes rather than 30 amp 100 volt. Panasonic 680uf caps, 10x more airflow via two external roof fans. And...

57.2 amperes* into 12.0 volts for 9 hours and 10 more or less minutes. 16.67 wide open volts. Didn't even breathe hard. Cool to touch on rectifiers and bi-polar transistors. Like having a Derringer 12-gauge.

I did delta the three positive and three negative circuit board terminal strip output screws. Total fans drive current .84 amps. Transistor life will be a "maybe".

*three instruments verification

Tinker Tinker Tinker ...
Too much Mezcal will do that.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
This is the gigawatt, not the borg! Get your chargers straight man

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
760 watts sustained 9+ hours. It smacked its lips. Don't ask about the parts cost. $15 / 5 rectifier purchase. $9.90 2 caps. $12 fans and grills. About $3 for the Sil Pad./

You forgot the cost of the 2 Megawatts. Are they the 30 amp or 36 amp versions of switched power supply units, like Ham Radio operators are wont to use?

Probably good for recharging some Ampere hungry AGM type of cells that have very, very low internal resistance.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
760 watts sustained 9+ hours. It smacked its lips. Don't ask about the parts cost. $15 / 5 rectifier purchase. $9.90 2 caps. $12 fans and grills. About $3 for the Sil Pad./

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Gee Mex, sounds like the Lifelines might not chew it up and spit it out quite as easy as they did the first time. I have a 30 amp version from the other company but haven't even thought of wiring it up since the 435w portable has the heavy lifting done by the time the roof system even has a chance to get going.
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Birth Of The Gigawatt

This subject reminds me of where our stick and brick electric bill is going if we don't install solar soon. :B
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C