Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bulb Seal Repair

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

The inside bulb seal on the top of one of my slides has recently developed a hole in it and I just noticed water dripping behind the slide trim where the hole is during a recent rain when my slide is extended.

Does anyone know of a way to repair the bulb seal where the hole has developed?

The rest of that seal is fine, so I would rather not have to replace the entire seal.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!
Mark
3 REPLIES 3

DandM-AG
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it!
Mark

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
I became disgusted with the effectiveness and durability of silicone calk decades ago. It's "OK" for a limited number of jobs.

My suggestion is to try out repair sealants before committing to use them.

On things that flex like plastics, vinyl, rubber, I found that 400 sandpaper "scuffing" and applying GOOP brand sealant (all Goop sealants are the same regardless what the tube label "says") is so superior to anything else it is almost criminal to use anything else. It sticks where nothing else will stick and furthermore it stretches like a rubber band then snaps back.

I repair shoes with the stuff. Down here in a pinch (Size 13 is harder to find than an honest politician) I have glued snapped sandal straps, even flapping soles, and despite horrendous abuse the glued parts stay tightly glued and few things need as much flexibility as sandals and shoes. The stuff can be painted over. Although flexible paint isn't easy to come by. Goop is transparent.

Again, ignore what the label says: Plumbing, household, marine, auto, it's all the same stuff. Lately E2000 brand adhesive has appeared. I found it to be exactly the same adhesive. Home Depot, carries these adhesives. Around $5.00 per tube. The adhesive has a finite life after opening after which it becomes rubber-like inside the tube.

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
If it's just a hole. plug it with a little silicone caulk. Make sure you let if fully cure before closing your slide. They are easy to replace if you need to do so.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)