cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Charging my Interstate wet cells

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Have a Xantrex Freedom inverter/charger that's not charging my Interstates at proper voltage. As per the specs Interstate guy handed me they should bulk up to 14.8 but looks like the Xantrx only gets them up to 14.2

Unfortunately, I cant set a custom charge rate on the Xantrex, just battery type.

During the day my Classic Charge controller charges them and I can set the proper charge rate. I did that last night and I'm waiting for them to go into float so I can get a proper temp corrected specific gravity.

We are off grid and in the PM when I start the genset for the evening charge I typically run the generator till the Xantrex kicks into float.

I want to get those buggers up to capacity so it looks like I'll be shopping for a 3 stage charger that I can custom program. I need one that will also output the amps so I don't have to run genset longer than needed.

Id LOVE to upgrade the Xantrex but currently don't have the funds.

Also, if the Interstates are toast it looks like I might be purchasing Sams Club 6 volts or perhaps pickup some t-105's

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks All!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel
28 REPLIES 28

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
And I am spending all this time on the Megawatt issue but I guess all my posts are written on invisible ink...

$65 Set it for 14.8 volts when regular charger goes stupid start Megawatt. I spit on the screen maybe the ink will stick.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
If you are having to do an evening charge with the generator then the solar system isn't set up right. Unlesss you are using a ton of Ah a properly setup solar system shoud get you through the night.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
mchero wrote:
Solar got them up to 14.8 for about 2 hrs but then the sun starts to go down. so I can't use the Classic to do an EQ charge.
14.8 for 2 hours in the afternoon? Get a hydrometer reading as the voltage starts to drop. Would be interesting to see if we are chasing shadows.

Quite frankly if you have 14.8 on the batteries as the sun is setting what exactly is the evening charge for? If you need more charge to get through the night maybe you need more battery.

If you want to equalize with solar run the generator at sun-up so the solar starts at 14.2 volts. After you hit 14.8 for an hour disconnect the RV and let it rip at 16.5 volts. Still would like to see the hydrometer reading to see what is needed.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys! I just might ba back at a power pedastal sooner than i think!
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Xantrex is fully programmable.. However I prefer the default program for the Progressive Dynamics 9200 series (or 1900 with optional wizard, I have a 9180 with wizard). I keep the Prosine's converter in reserve..

I've had occasion where I accidently unplugged the 9180.. When I do this I usually figure it out long about 3 amp.. So having a 2nd remote operated charger is ...SWEET.

That said. 14.2 will get you to full. just takes a lot longer.

Though a 9200 plug in (say a 9260) as a back up converter would be handy.. Get a plug in model. Frankly. I'd not throw more money at your system It is fine the way it is.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MrWizard
you might consider a little generator time early in the day
to get some heavy amps in and raise the voltage
then perhaps the solar would get them to 14.8 earlier in the day, so they would be at 14.8 for a longer period
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Trojan batteries also like a higher than typical bulk charging voltage (14.82V or 7.41V) for their batteries.

EXACTLY, that's why I'm looking at an alternative to my evening charge. As stated above, one setting for wet. The T105's need the same 14.8 bulk, 13.5 float.

Perhaps I could makeup a cheater plug for the temp sensor.

I hear the Onan ramping down I think the Xantrex went to float....Yep

Goodnight
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I pull the temp sensor it will Absorb at 14.4 Now "IF" I could somehow fake the temp sensor into thinking the bats where at 50 deg F it would Adsorb at 14.8 "

You dip it in ice cream. My old post on that must be somewhere ๐Ÿ™‚

Scroll to bottom

http://forums.trailerlife.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24662391.cfm
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Trojan batteries also like a higher than typical bulk charging voltage (14.82V or 7.41V) for their batteries.

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having zero issues with the solar side. Does a fantastic job charging the Interstates during the day.

It's when I start the genset for my "evening charge" the one that gets me thru the dark nights out here! The Xantrex is only pumping them up to 14.2 not the required 14.8 I think I'll pull the temp sensor to get a tad more Absorb voltage.

I will take a look at BFL's suggestion.

Solar got them up to 14.8 for about 2 hrs but then the sun starts to go down. so I can't use the Classic to do an EQ charge.

If I pull the temp sensor it will Absorb at 14.4 Now "IF" I could somehow fake the temp sensor into thinking the bats where at 50 deg F it would Adsorb at 14.8

Still trying to figure out what the Xantrex EQ voltage is

Thanks guys
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I think you'll find that most 6v's crave a diet of voltages close to 15V when charging. If your solar can't fill them up, then you'll need an alternative. Those Megawatt power supplies will do it and aren't a budget buster. A mod to install a potentiometer is about all you'll need to get that needed voltage.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
Mex, suggestions short of replacing my Xantrex?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
14.8 is the spec voltage for 25C/77F. When it is colder, that voltage is higher. More like 15.3 at 35F. You need a 14.8v charger with temp comp or else an adjustable voltage charger that you can set yourself as required.

I use a PowerMax adjustable voltage model. They come in various amp sizes.

EDIT I see you have four 6s, so you will want the 100 amper.

To get their SGs back up, if they need "recovery" you will need to crank the voltage up to 15.5 and leave it there for some hours. Actually 16v would be better, but the PM ADJ only goes to 15.5, which is normally high enough.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.