cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap, junky, China made tire monitor systems

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I know some of you insist on nothing but the best. With laser guided, GPS, computer monitored with blue tooth Monitoring systems, with gold plated contacts and remote controls and WiFi. So you can check the spare tire in the your Bently toad from a monastery in Tibet.

Yes I know you get what you pay for, but not always.

I am curious if anyone has experimented or used the off brand cheap imported systems? And what were the results?

I check my tires before departure with a gauge, I check the calibration of the gauge often. I also shoot each tire when I stop with a non contact temperature gun. Yes it has a laser :B
11 REPLIES 11

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
jjrbus wrote:

Thanks for the response. Very simple actually, I have a decent quality tire gauge and a inflator with a pressure gauge. Use one than the other.

In all the years I have been doing this only one time has a tire gauge went bad and that was recently.

My inflator is a cheap one from Harbor Freight, I simply replaced the pressure gauge on it with a quality one that I can see the numbers on and put my dual foot chuck on it from the now defunct tire gauge.
HTH Jim
http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-dial-gauge-68271.html

The linked chuck would not work on my coach as I have no space for putting it at angle for inner one. I had to get one with straight tip.
Than I have identical set made in USA. The older gauge is 10 psi off. I know I can pull the needle and reset it, but I simply remember to inflate 10psi higher.
Chinese can manufacture top quality stuff, but US customers or at least US suppliers don't want to pay the price, but ebay is having direct contact with Chinese sellers, so check their top shelf systems.

I have the same issue, and have to use the straight foot to access the inner duals. So now I have a couple of the angled ones in the spare parts bin. Many of these items use standard threads and can be interchanged.
Jim

SaltiDawg
Explorer
Explorer
China is currently where Japan was in the late 1940s and into the 50s.

In those days "Made in Japan" was synonymous with cheaply made junk.

Look at them now!

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjrbus wrote:

Thanks for the response. Very simple actually, I have a decent quality tire gauge and a inflator with a pressure gauge. Use one than the other.

In all the years I have been doing this only one time has a tire gauge went bad and that was recently.

My inflator is a cheap one from Harbor Freight, I simply replaced the pressure gauge on it with a quality one that I can see the numbers on and put my dual foot chuck on it from the now defunct tire gauge.
HTH Jim
http://www.harborfreight.com/dual-chuck-tire-inflator-with-dial-gauge-68271.html

The linked chuck would not work on my coach as I have no space for putting it at angle for inner one. I had to get one with straight tip.
Than I have identical set made in USA. The older gauge is 10 psi off. I know I can pull the needle and reset it, but I simply remember to inflate 10psi higher.
Chinese can manufacture top quality stuff, but US customers or at least US suppliers don't want to pay the price, but ebay is having direct contact with Chinese sellers, so check their top shelf systems.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TST 507 sensors read within 1 lb of my calibrated gauge. I much prefer knowing what my tire pressures and temps are doing all the time, rather than only during periodic checks.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
The title of your thread sounds so negative.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Since I retired from NASA it is the best I can do : )

I looked on Amazon the only system I saw with many reviews was Carchett, the seem to be well liked but are only for 4 tires.
Jim

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Not exactly a precision way to check the accuracy of tire pressure gauge.

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
jjrbus wrote:

I check the calibration of the gauge often. :B

I can't help you with your question, but out of curiosity, if the tire gauge is of decent quality, when you have it checked, has it ever varied enough to be concerned with? How or what are you checking it against?

Bill

HTH Jim

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Amazon would be a good source of reviews. Yes, you get what you pay for.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
One guy on here bought the CARCHETT TPMS from Amazon, and I think they would qualify as cheap off brand, I have no idea if they are imported or from where. Last I heard he was on the verge of returning them to Amazon due to unhappiness with the operation of the system. He may have reconsidered but I don't know.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjrbus wrote:

I check the calibration of the gauge often. :B

I can't help you with your question, but out of curiosity, if the tire gauge is of decent quality, when you have it checked, has it ever varied enough to be concerned with? How or what are you checking it against?

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.