Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Converter kaput? Need to size replacement

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
OK here is the situation:
1)Progressive Dynamics Converter that worked all summer on one bank of 6V.
2) 2 banks of 6V x 2 golf cart batteries
3) Converter not charging the batteries
4) Pulled fuses and checked with DMM, all good
5) Checked cables, one was very loose. That tightened up.
6) Voltage with shore power disconnected at converter 10.78 V
7) Fan not operating on the converter

I can't see the 120 VAC in cable and might have to pull the converter out to get to it. Only access is behind the fuse panel but AC stuff all works in the RV.

So my diagnoses is that the converter is kaput, you all agree or what and how should I size a replacement to charge the two banks of 6 V batteries? Thanks for any help from people who know more about this than I do. Let me note that only one battery bank is connected right now.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
18 REPLIES 18

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walked out a bit later 240 dollars lighter with a brand new factory refurb Back to Tekonsha hooked it up. plugged in my original wizard and off to Where I am now (My winter quarters) it's still working,.
-----------------------------------------------
How big was that, you can buy a new 60 amp for less than that and a 70 amp for slightly more.
Superbumper

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok here is my story .One halloween weekend (10/29) came home from church to dead batteries. Testing showed Progressive Dynamics 9180 failed.. Got a Deltran Battery tender delux (2/20/70 amps) and set it in 20 amp mode for 24 hours till it dropped to tender mode.
Drove to Tekonsha MI (From Davision MI) parked at the TA overnight (used to be the Tekon but guess it got sold to TA Tekon has history). Next day (10/30) Headed back north (by car) to Marshall, walked into a building and the woman said "Can I help you" Pointed to the 9180 under my arm and said "Dead".. She pointed me to a pair of double doors I said thank you and walked through those where a 2nd woman said "Can I help you" and I again pointed and said "Dead" she said "on my desk"

Walked out a bit later 240 dollars lighter with a brand new factory refurb Back to Tekonsha hooked it up. plugged in my original wizard and off to Where I am now (My winter quarters) it's still working,.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah I was sitting here thinking about it and figured out I had it backwards. I'll do that tomorrow.
Superbumper

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
6) Voltage with shore power disconnected at converter 10.78 V

----------

You want to check the converter's voltage with no battery connected. Needs 120v for the converter.

That 10.78 would be your battery voltage--yipes!
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.