cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cost estimation full re-caulking aluminium roof (16 feet tt)

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to be sure to not get fooled by a dishonest dealer or something like that on the cost estimation... just need your opinion here! ๐Ÿ™‚

My TT is entering its 5th camping season and all the caulk on the roof is black/green with A LOT of mildew and some obvious wear. No way adding fresh caulk over that******will adhere... there's no leak by now, but I think this year is the year of a full re-caulking job from scratch on the roof.

My TT is a 16 feet but the roof itself is 13 feet long. Moreover I don't have a roof A/C, just 2 standard 14x14 vents + 2 tank vent. The roof is a 1 piece aluminium roof.

I think the job will be to remove all the old caulk, then put new Dicor self levelling lap sealant everywhere.

For a professional (and honest) RV shop, how much time (hours or labor) it should take to accomplish that kind of work on a tiny trailer like mine? Or how much should be the job overall (parts & labor)?

Thank you!!
2016 Dodge Grand Caravan SE Plus
2011 KZ Sportsmen Classic 16BH
19 REPLIES 19

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
vlopddap wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Cost? Depends on you! DIY it will cost you a days labor, several tubes of Dicor self leveling caulk, a large bottle of cleaner. Pay someone because you either cant or too lazy figure 400 dollars or more.

I would not say "too lazy" for.. just not skilled enough to. I can do any mechanics and electrical job on a RV or a car, but I am not so confident about sealing the roof myself.

If you can do mechanical/electrical you can seal the roof, A dealer is just going to have the guy he pays the cheapest hourly rate go up there with a putty knife, scrape off some of the old and put some new dicor over it. They are not going to take a highly skilled tech (expensive) and put them on a roof for a job any unskilled laborer can do.

I would go a different route and use eternabond
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Cost? Depends on you! DIY it will cost you a days labor, several tubes of Dicor self leveling caulk, a large bottle of cleaner. Pay someone because you either cant or too lazy figure 400 dollars or more.

I would not say "too lazy" for.. just not skilled enough to. I can do any mechanics and electrical job on a RV or a car, but I am not so confident about sealing the roof myself.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

vlopddap
Explorer
Explorer
Cloud Dancer wrote:
It depends on whether it was previously sealed with self-leveling caulk (and it's hard as a rock). And, whether they are going to try removing this rock-hard goop.

Definitely look like the Dicor self levelling lap sealant. It's the original sealing out of the KZ Sportsmen factory. It's a very clean job and the amount of sealant is not exaggerated. The sealant is pretty soft too (when you touch it).

Cloud_Dancer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends on whether it was previously sealed with self-leveling caulk (and it's hard as a rock). And, whether they are going to try removing this rock-hard goop.
Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat