cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do the trailer outlets run off the batteries?

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
I am wanting to know if the trailer outlets run off the batteries.
Is there an inverter/converter/doohickie that allows the batteries to power the outlets?
I need to run a CPAP machine at night, and want to go to campgounds without hookups and still get a good night's rest.
The only 12v cigarette lighter type outlet I have is by the TV but that is 10-15 ft away from where I need it.

I asked a parts guy at a trailer place and they said plugging something in to the outlet would work as long as it is a 12v appliance, but then they also said the outlets are on separate 120v circuit, so I don't know what to do with that info.

I have a 2012 275BHS Dutchmen trailer... is there something that comes with the trailer that allows this or is it a modification that needs to be done?

I am sure there is a wealth of knowledge on here that has a solution.
I am a total newb when it comes to anything involving electricity so a simple solution is best.
31 REPLIES 31

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
afraid of bears wrote:
My Respironics machine draws 2.5 amps without the humidifier and 4 amps with the humidifier on. It draws my two 6 volt batteries down a to 60/70% overnight depending on how long I sleep. I like to sleep!!

I tried using a cheap inverter (before reading all the warnings about doing so) and the noisy fan on the inverter kept waking me up. I bought the cigarette plug adapter ($75 I think) and put in a plug for it right beside the bed. I ran a new set of wires to the plug straight from the fuse panel. I had to do a bit of fishing to get the wire to where I needed it.

I also have a battery box with a cigarette plug on it that I can use in an emergency at home. Works just fine for a night or two.
I have thought about putting in a 12V plug by the bed but I am not one that can do it myself...and I have been told it can be expensive to have it done.

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Not knowing anything about these machines:

Would it not be a lot easier to get and use a generator?
While I do realize that if I had a generator I would love using it, but... I have noticed, while not having one, those that use them in the campgrounds I have been in are noisy, and I don't really want to carry the extra gas to power them.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I have run my Cpap machine for two nights on two 6v batteries and they worked fine. then I charged up the batteries with a Honda Gen. just don't expect the cpap to heat the water. that aspect of the cpap machine runs on 120V ac.

afraid_of_bears
Explorer
Explorer
My Respironics machine draws 2.5 amps without the humidifier and 4 amps with the humidifier on. It draws my two 6 volt batteries down a to 60/70% overnight depending on how long I sleep. I like to sleep!!

I tried using a cheap inverter (before reading all the warnings about doing so) and the noisy fan on the inverter kept waking me up. I bought the cigarette plug adapter ($75 I think) and put in a plug for it right beside the bed. I ran a new set of wires to the plug straight from the fuse panel. I had to do a bit of fishing to get the wire to where I needed it.

I also have a battery box with a cigarette plug on it that I can use in an emergency at home. Works just fine for a night or two.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:

How do you get power after quiet hours?

Park in the most isolated spot and ask the campground operator for a medical exemption to quiet hours?

A small generator like the Honda I had could be soundproofed to very little noise. I think it was only 1200 watts, but it was real quiet on it's own.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Oh blow thou winter winds? 50-watt-do-it-yourself-wind-turbine/

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
Please point me to a 50 watt generator
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Please point me to a 50 watt generator or under 400 pound unmarried Arab princess...

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Dog Folks wrote:

How do you get power after quiet hours?

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inverters are optional on most trailers.. Or you can have one installed "After market" as I did on my motor home.

For PAP use (C, Bi, Flex) if you can get a 12 volt model that is best as you loose a minimum of 10% running through the inverter.. But if yours is heated and humidified 12 volts might NOT be an option.

(I follow this stuff for friends, but my own sleep studies confirmed I do not need a PAP device)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dog Folks wrote:
Not knowing anything about these machines: Would it not be a lot easier to get and use a generator?
Oh, you probably know something about them.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"I have heard running the CPAP without the humidifier will greatly reduce the power consumption"

Before you start planning on shutting off (by the CPAP control) the humidifier to reduce power from sixty watts to 12 watts, give it a try while plugged in at home. Simply turn off the humidifier.

Remember these points:

The humidifier is temperature controlled. In warm summer conditions it make consume 5 minutes worth of power per hour. In the winter it may operate 100% of the time. More frequent heating in coastal British Columbia than Miami.

Your respiratory tract automatically humidifies your lungs, throat, nasal and sinus passages. The CPAP flushes a lot more room air through your respiratory system, especially mouth and nose.

Many times the body mechanism cannot deal with the extra "dessication" of your mucous membranes. This is strictly on an individual by individual case basis. Translated it means, you have to try it and see.

I personally do not do well without humidification unless the air is naturally humid. Symptoms include awaking with tongue stuck to roof of mouth. Bloody nose at times and I strongly feel too dry a respiratory tract encourages more viral and bacteriological infections.

My medical comments are based on having had an EMT II license which allows me to make intelligent suggestions from the peanut gallery.

Good point Mexico !!!

Guess I'm one of those others, haven't had the need for a humidifier in the 18 years that I've used it. I did try it a few times with a humidifier, not needed.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

Dakota98
Explorer
Explorer
The nicest thing about these small deep cycle batteries:

They are small, easy to use, light weight, & you can take them with you ANYWHERE.
I'm an expert in only one field....I believe it's somewhere in Kansas.

2000 / 22' SKYLINE NOMAD LITE
1998 DODGE DAKOTA / 5.2L= 8mpg.
2006 POLARIS ATV
1500/1200 Watt Champion generator
Yada Wireless Back Up Camera
1998 Dyna Wide Glide
USMC 68-74

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"I have heard running the CPAP without the humidifier will greatly reduce the power consumption"

Before you start planning on shutting off (by the CPAP control) the humidifier to reduce power from sixty watts to 12 watts, give it a try while plugged in at home. Simply turn off the humidifier.

Remember these points:

The humidifier is temperature controlled. In warm summer conditions it make consume 5 minutes worth of power per hour. In the winter it may operate 100% of the time. More frequent heating in coastal British Columbia than Miami.

Your respiratory tract automatically humidifies your lungs, throat, nasal and sinus passages. The CPAP flushes a lot more room air through your respiratory system, especially mouth and nose.

Many times the body mechanism cannot deal with the extra "dessication" of your mucous membranes. This is strictly on an individual by individual case basis. Translated it means, you have to try it and see.

I personally do not do well without humidification unless the air is naturally humid. Symptoms include awaking with tongue stuck to roof of mouth. Bloody nose at times and I strongly feel too dry a respiratory tract encourages more viral and bacteriological infections.

My medical comments are based on having had an EMT II license which allows me to make intelligent suggestions from the peanut gallery.