cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dometic 5 button thermostat

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 5 button thermostat with two penguin hc units. As I understand it, the second unit must have a remote temp sensor installed. If you install a remote sensor for zone 1, does the thermostat automatically detect it and use it instead of the one in the thermostat.

The front unit is short cycling and the rear will not come on at all. It will run the fan in the manual mode.
26 REPLIES 26

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Update: I ordered and installed two 15KBrisk IIs and a CCC2. I now have a system that works perfectly and cools great. Hardest part of installation is getting them on the roof. Luckly I have a barn and a hoist. Did it by myself.

PS: I bought the units and the thermostat from a place called Camper's Paradise in Charlotte, NC. They had the lowest price that I found and I had them within 3 days.

As far as the noise level, they are as quiet or quieter than the Penguins that I had. I like the way the Brisk IIs are built versus the Penguin. They don't depend on the shroud to seal the condenser blower. You can run them with the cover off.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Doug
Your main problem is that you feel everyone else is an idiot and you fear being found to be wrong. Please stay out of my threads. I find you confrontational and annoying. I dont want your advice. Comprende?

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
This gets stranger every day. Now the thermostat thinks the rear ac is a heat pump. Only gives option of hi and low fan. No medium. Also gives mode option of heat pump. It is not a heat pump. Reset didnt help. It now does not come on. I have a spare control board I will try.

Front AC now works fine.

Next step will be to replace both with 15K Penguin IIs and a CCC2.

Would be nice if the 5 button would show the current inside temp it and the two units are sensing. Would make troubleshooting much easier.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Doug,
How do you explain the fact that the rear unit worked fine for several years with no temp sensor. It appears to me that the CCC is serving as the temp source for both.

IE. if you set 74 for both units, they will start and stop together.

If you set 74 for the rear and 76 for the front, the rear will operate and the front will only operate if the rear cannot handle the heat load.

That is the way I leave it set when the RV is not in use. I swap the temps occasionally to even out the use.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
I have double and tripled checked all the connections and feel they are correct. The rear seems to be behaving now but it would not come on at all before I connected the remote temp. I could run the fan so it had communication.

I have done many resets as you described. I have followed the troubleshooting guide you posted. I found that the neutral connection between the rv 110 and the AC was made with a wire nut. It was not making a proper connection and had fried itself. That has been repaired.

Still working on the short cycle problem in zone 1.

Thanks for your input Chris.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
With no local sensor installed, it defaults to the CCC unit. I don't believe there is a difference between 10 and 12- I just refer to them as 12 button units, but only a very few actually used all of the buttons (there was a humidistat function during development- it was quickly dropped).

Quite often the wrong sensors will be plugged in to the connections. Also don't forget to do a reset whenever you make a change (turn off, hold mode and zone while turning on- screen should read FF, release mode and zone).
-- Chris Bryant

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
PS:. What is the difference between the 10 and the 12 button other than the obvious extra buttons.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Gau 8 wrote:
After properly attaching the remote temp sensor, the rear unit appears to be running well. Funny thing is that the unit ran fine like that for several years.

The front still wants to short cycle. Will wait to see if the front remote sensor that I should receive Monday will cure the problem.

It ran full throttle and never shut off unless the Freeze sensor shut off the compressor, but once the freezing was gone the compressor came back on. I doubt the new remote sensor will cure your problem. Doug

Not true. The rear unit would shut off and respond to the thermostat and temp setting changes. That's why i originally asked the question about the internal sensor in the thermostat. It appears that both units were responding to the temp sensed at the thermostat.

Would be a good question for the Dometic engineers.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Dometic confirmed that new boards (3312022.000) are required. I canceled the new CCC2 and will wait and see what the remote sensor does for the front unit.

Thanks Chris for the heads up..

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
delete

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Gau 8 wrote:
After properly attaching the remote temp sensor, the rear unit appears to be running well. Funny thing is that the unit ran fine like that for several years.

The front still wants to short cycle. Will wait to see if the front remote sensor that I should receive Monday will cure the problem.

It ran full throttle and never shut off unless the Freeze sensor shut off the compressor, but once the freezing was gone the compressor came back on. I doubt the new remote sensor will cure your problem. Doug