Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Drop in Cook Top to run on 1lb propane

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Hello ,
I know this sounds strange to most , but it would be for Very limited use on a trailer that does Not have Any Tank/lines already installed . Of course the tank would be outside when used . My main questions are , What type of regulator would I need for the small bottles for the standard 2 burner cook top to function properly ? and Is there any problem using all rubber hose , with the short run of around 3 -4 ft between tank/regulator and the cooktop ? . I have used 6ft extensions for small tanks on outdoor stoves , with their original regulators before without problems . Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated .
Thanks and camp on !
7 REPLIES 7

JustALittleBeac
Explorer
Explorer
Hello again ,
Thanks for all the suggestions .I was leaning towards the regular drop in cook top , only because I have heard 2 different views on the use of the campstoves , such as the good old dependable coleman indoors . Some say no problem as long as they are ventilated enough , some say they are not made to as strict of tolerances as cooktops made for indoors . Believe me , I love the Burner / Grille combination one we use outdoors for everything . I would just like to make the occasional morning coffee , even on rainy mornings :^) , without going outside . yes still love the stove top fresh perk , nothing like it !I do use the 1lb bottle with a 6ft extension rubber hose , ( also coleman ) on that . so I can take it off the usual homemade bumper mount , and move it out of the wind if it gets to be too much . The cooktop would actually take less space and my main concern was the regulator and if they would work off the 1lb.
Thanks for all the input.
camp on !

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for a portable camp stove for very limited use. That said, a simple 11" wc single stage regulator and an LP rated rubber hose will work fine. Personally, if I were doing that, I would avoid the 1 lb disposables, and use a 20# grill cylinder.
-- Chris Bryant

wing_zealot
Explorer
Explorer
RV's with the cooktop in the slideout use rubber hoses all the time. Every portable outdoor grill hooked to a 20 lbs bottle that I have ever seen uses them. The whole setup on the front of my RV is rubber hose all the way until it disappears under the trailer along the tongue.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would be tempted to get a (nice) camp stove with a flexible hose connection to the bottle and construct a suitable depression in the countertop for it. There's no inherent reason why the cylinder can't be in the RV with the cooktop while you're using it, at least none that I can come up with; frankly, the greater danger seems to me to be from the combustion products of the burners than from undetected leaking propane or whatever from the bottle connection.

For very occasional use, there's no need to build the depression for the camp stove; just set it on the counter and make your delicious hot food.

To answer your question, though, there's nothing wrong with using suitably-specified rubber hose between a regulator and a usual RV cooktop for temporary use such as this. Paying attention to chafing etc. in the appropriate places is a good idea, of course; and using hose with a braided metal cover would be preferable but not essential IMHO.

Disclaimer: DrewE is not a propane technician and is not responsible if you follow his suggestions and end up blowing your RV to bits.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like the idea of having other uses for the 1lb propane canisters...

This is part of my back-up plan B's for my OFF-ROAD POPUP camper adventures. I carry six each of those canisters at all times.

My Coleman ROAD TRIP grill runs off of them... Also my backup Mr Buddy heater... I have a couple of other COLEMAN round heaters that use them...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

red31
Explorer
Explorer
11" wc

westend
Explorer
Explorer
The regulator is sized to the burners on the cooktop. What do you have?

If you are using a rubber hose from regulator to burners, it should be gas rated.

If it was me, I'd just run new lines to the exterior cylinder and be done.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton