cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dually valve stem extensions

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Gulfstream RV BT cruiser 5230 motorhome class B. I love it very much and anticipate going to Florida for the Winters starting in a year or two.
My question is I have dual tires on the rear axle and need to be able to check tire pressure so need to put valve extensions on the tires. I know nothing about this and have not been able to find them in any auto parts stores even NAPA auto parts did not have access to them. The outer rear tire has the nozzle facing in and the inner tire has the nozzle facing out so I suppose I will need one straight extension and one curved and maybe am able to put braided extensions on that I could bend and fastened to the hubcap? My questions are as follows;

1. Will 7 inch Extenders suffice for the inner tires on the rear?
2. Do I need to have this stems removed from the existing tires or can I screw the extenders directly onto the existing stems?

I can't think of any other questions but keep in mind I don't know a thing about this so any knowledge you could give me including where to get them would be extremely helpful!

PS-It would be extremely helpful if I only knew how to post pictures!

Robert
17 REPLIES 17

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flexible valve stem extenders are almost guaranteed to leak, sooner or later. I've tried three different brands and they all failed. One immediately, and the other two after differing periods of time. Now I use a tire chuck and pressure gauge specifically made for duallies.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

8ntw8tn
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Find an established truck tire company, and they can take care of your needs. This is truck tire situatio, ano Auto tire. Many Auto Tire places do not have the knowledge or equipment to properly handle truck problems.

I agree, with one caveat. I've found that Discount Tire (I've dealt with 3 separate ones in 3 states) seems to have the experience and training to adequately deal with duals. Over the last 17 years I've had 3 duallys and had valve extensions on all of them. As one poster advised, steel valves are a must; using flexible valves is inviting trouble. I've used both flexible braided extensions and steel rigid extensions and found the latter are more reliable and less subject to damage. Hope this helps.
'08 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax;
'10 Carriage Cameo F35FWS
Det 1 56th SOWg

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Find an established truck tire company, and they can take care of your needs. This is truck tire situatio, ano Auto tire. Many Auto Tire places do not have the knowledge or equipment to properly handle truck problems.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
I highly recommend the Tire Man valve stems. They are not extensions. The tires must be removed from the wheels and the valve stems replaced. I had my local tire shop do this for me when I had my Class C.

http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/products.html

These are the ones that I have but.

Tire-man is no more. The site is still up but none of the phone numbers work, the email bounces and looking at google street maps it looks like someone else has the shop now.

Sadly Chuck,the owner passed away and none of his kids wanted to keep it going. I suppose that the website will eventually die as did Chuck and Sue.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
found mine at Pep Boys auto parts but I had to get two sets because they are short. My previous ones were the armored steel type which destroyed themselves AND my wheel simulator. Brand same SLIME.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
I highly recommend the Tire Man valve stems. They are not extensions. The tires must be removed from the wheels and the valve stems replaced. I had my local tire shop do this for me when I had my Class C.

http://tire-man.iwvisp.com/products.html
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The ones you need are from Borg AKA Your Tire Supply. Dually Kit

They will look like this. The valve stems for Class C Duallys. I have a set from another vendor that was the original maker of them and have been on my Class C for over 10 years with no leaks or problems. You can Check the pressure on all tires in a matter of minutes.

Valve stems

DO NOT put the braided extenders on, they will leak and if they come loose from their mount on the wheel they will cause a catastrophic air loss.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
ty

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have run dually valve extensions since 2003 on our dually pickup. There are different lengths for different size wheels. Whatever or whoever does the job, you MUST have steel valve stems. Rubber will eventually break off.

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the food for thought!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
and welcome your on the right track,,ask before you do some thing . we,ve all made some mistakes, this form will help you.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
not just any tire shop .one that handles big tires. I have a small C had terry,s tire town put four new michelins on, AND we talked about how I wanted STEEL stems put on so you can check all tires from the out side. kid put flex lines on,we had a major understanding I did not want flex stems,shorter story, manager knocked two hundred dollars off my bill. went to all pro rv they had the job done right.flex lines will leak just a matter of when.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
All you really need is dual air gauge.
https://www.amazon.com/CZC-AUTO-Straight-10-150PSI-100-1000KPa/dp/B07CXLXL5X/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=dually+air+gauge&qid=1591401830&s=automotive&sr=1-2
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Yeates689
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for that!