cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric jack for 5 wheel goes up and not down

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
The jack stands that raises the front of the trailer up and down just goes up and not down. Worked fine in the morning next camp site won't go down. Checked the switch and it seems ok. Only 2 wires going to the motor. I tried jumping power to each one. One makes it going up the other it goes up very slow. Any ideas?
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs
23 REPLIES 23

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
snowpeke wrote:
This is for a 5 wheel! There is only one motor that lifts both legs. If there is a relay I don't know where it could be.
What's the voltage like at the battery? And is it slow to raise the trailer, or to raise the leg?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.google.ca/search?q=trailer+jack+switch+wiring&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=DAK9peNX0PqD...
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

snowpeke
Explorer
Explorer
This is for a 5 wheel! There is only one motor that lifts both legs. If there is a relay I don't know where it could be.
2002 Chevy DuraMax
2014 jayco eagle
Two Pekingese dogs

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Okay, the wording confused me a bit since it sounded like one switch but two motors, "One makes it going up the other it goes up very slow. Any ideas?".

With one motor, it could be the gearbox, the screws could be dry and dragging, or the bevel gear at the top of the leg is dry and dragging. If the trailer is going up really slowly, it could easily be the battery. Which is what I would check first.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bobbo wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
You have one switch but two motors? One for each leg? When you say the one doesn't go up, do you mean it won't retract, or it won't raise the trailer? Check to see if you have full voltage to the switch, and from the switch to each motor. Do the battery/ies have a good charge?

Only one motor because only one leg. This is a TT, not a 5er. He is talking about the tongue jack.

Subject says 5er. Same switch anyway, 5er or tongue. Motor rotates the other way around when you switch pos to neg. Switch contacts do the reversing.

Trailer goes up when leg goes down. Switch says "extend" and "retract"

https://www.ebay.ca/i/362927710299?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=706-89093-2056-0&mkcid=2&itemid=36...

EDIT--I think the OP did not reverse them when he jumpered them however he did that.
Photo in Profile

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
fj12ryder wrote:
You have one switch but two motors? One for each leg? When you say the one doesn't go up, do you mean it won't retract, or it won't raise the trailer? Check to see if you have full voltage to the switch, and from the switch to each motor. Do the battery/ies have a good charge?

Only one motor because only one leg. This is a TT, not a 5er. He is talking about the tongue jack.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the relays is bad
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think up/down is like in/out with the slide. The motor two wires change pos and neg to turn the other way as set by the switch contacts.

I had that with the slide switch. New switch fixed that.
Photo in Profile