cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electrical issues on travel trailer

Andrew0622
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I have a 2007 Denali travel trailer that is currently located on family property connected to a dedicated 50A service outlet 24/7. It has been that way for a year now, and I've had some curious issues - wondering if anyone can help me diagnose or troubleshoot.

First it was the fridge (which is level) - at night the fridge would alternate between electric and gas after being on electric all day. Noticed this problem stopped if we left a light on all night (only certain nearby lights helped). As those lights started burning out from age and constant use, I switched them to LEDs and the problem came back.

Now in summer, the AC aid running more and the fridge is swapping power sources whenever the AC kicks on. Weird because more power draw helped the problem before and now it's hurting.

New problem, as fall is approaching and evenings get colder the gas furnace wants to kick on at night, but the furnace fans run very weakly until I turn on a light (same kitchen lights I used to solve the fridge problem before) and then it immediately kicks back into high gear... again, more power draw solved my problems...

1. Do I need to get rid of all my LEDs?
2. Do I have problems elsewhere and where should I start looking?

I'm new here and only poked around for a few minutes. I am VERY sorry if this post is a duplicate of someone else's and this has already been addressed.
8 REPLIES 8

Andrew0622
Explorer
Explorer
Battery has water in 5/6 ports (topping off the last now).

Charger converter is shown in attached photo

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is the shape of your batteries, if you have just the factory on off charger converter you may have boiled the water out of your batteries. You need to look into getting a Progressive Ind. 3 stage charger. Have you been putting water into the batteries??? Refrig. Heater, etc all need 12volt power to run the circuit boards.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I hate to say that I have seen things like this before and I really would love to have you think I found the problem right away......

In the cases I have had, it was always a bad termination in the system somewhere. A loose screw, and bad crimp but something that made the system load sensitive. Just keep pulling, pushing and tightening. In one case I fixed the problem and never figured out what it was. (I did bill the owner.)

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Andrew0622
Explorer
Explorer
Can't check voltage until morning.

Yes, furnace is directly below the fridge!

MrWizard
sounds like a 12v system problem, possibly a bad Negative wire, on the line to the fridge and furnace

is the furnace close to the fridge, underneath or nearby is common
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Check voltage in the 12v fuse panel and on the battery terminals.
Fuse panel should have a model number.

Andrew0622
Explorer
Explorer
Where do I test/check that?

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
What is the voltage on the 12v side? What converter do you have?