cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electricity usage in a week

kampinguru
Explorer
Explorer
I have been keeping track of my electricity usage this year and I want to pose a question. I read my meter on Sunday before I leave the site and again on the following Friday when I arrive. I have noticed that I am using about 10KWH in that amount of time. Now the only things I can think of that might be drawing electricity is the TV and Satellite receiver, the Propane detector and the converter/Charger. I am running my fridge on propane so none there. Is this a reasonable amount of electricity to use in 5 days? Thanks
2000 F-250 S/B 4X4
2005 Cedar Creek 30RLBS
Pullrite Superglide 16K
20 REPLIES 20

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
If the water heater is, in fact, electric, then just shut off the water heater on Sunday. Then when Friday rolls around you will only be seeing the load that came from the electronics.

If the water heater is running on propane, then maybe check the battery. You might be running your converter extra hours trying to put life into a bad battery. In that case, remove the battery and see what happens.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turn everything off Sunday, and see what it reads Friday. That sounds high.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds about right to me.
That's about $15.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
The average load over 5 days/120 hours is 83 watts, or a load of about roughly .75 amps. That seems high for electronics.

Now the water in the water heater, regardless of the insulation, will always want to return to room temperature. A 1400 watt heating element cycling 3 times a day would get you 10 kWh in 7 hours of running time.

HappyKayakers
Explorer
Explorer
Your fridge is also drawing a small amount of electric for the control panel and circuit board, even when running on propane.
Joe, Mary and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2017 Open Range 3X388RKS, side porch

JRS___B
Explorer
Explorer
What about the hot water? That seems about right for a tank recycling a few times over 5 days.