cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FIC Door locks - Poor product, Poor service

I am about as frustrated as I care to be with my piece of junk FIC door lock I bought last fall to replace the one in my TT with.

I was camping in BC's Okanogan Valley and got tired of the issues with my door lock.
So I bought the entire door handle/lock assembly from a local RV dealer in Osoyoos BC.

Well the new FIC unit has been a problem since day 1. Sticky keys, hard to lock - unlock, just problem problem problem.

Finally, late last fall, about 2 months after I bought this FIC junk, the top lock cylinder refused to turn. I fiddled and fooled with it for about 15 minutes to get my door open and the whole cylinder fell right out of the handle, attached to the key. I got the key out of it and shoved the cylinder back into the hole and somehow it is still there, but I cannot use it.

I am locking only with the deadbolt and it is very problematic. I have to fool and fiddle to get it to work. And I can turn the key 90 degrees and pull it out. Piece of junk.

I heard about the recall as posted here on the forum so I went to their website and filled out their warranty service form and sent it in. It has been close to 3 months now and I have not heard a thing from them. No reply, no replacement, no nothing from them. And they do not have any way of contacting them by email aside from their form. And a phone number to call.

Guess I have to go buy another new door handle with lock assembly. And when I do it will NOT be an FIC unit.

FIC is junk - stay away from these people. Poor product, Poor service.

Then I was googling for more information and I found a site that will sell you a ring of keys for 56 bucks. This ring contains a key to fit every one of FIC's locks! :E

So all a thief has to do is order this set of keys, and they have access to every RV on the road that has FIC locks.

How secure is that?
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com
18 REPLIES 18

kregli
Explorer
Explorer
Whenever you get new locks make sure to spray some graphite from one of those tubes into the lock and work it around a bit. It will make your life a lot easier.
Keith
2015 Grand Design Momentum 388m
2015 Silverado 3500HD DRW

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
Seven years, probably 500 nights with an FIC lock on the door. This lock has had problems in two situations:

1. When it needs lubrication.

2. When I'm not paying proper attention and don't turn the keys in the correct sequence. Sometimes I really wish there were a reset button, because it takes a while to "undo" this.

Otherwise, OK.
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
My FIC keys/locks work fine, and when I sent in the recalled units I received my keys in a very timely manner and they also work fine. No complaints from me.

X2 FIC Keys/Locks work fine. No complaints from us.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
My FIC keys/locks work fine, and when I sent in the recalled units I received my keys in a very timely manner and they also work fine. No complaints from me.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"