cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

free the stab jacks!?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My humble 20ft trailer has four BAL "lightweight" stab jacks, made from the cheapest steel they could buy. Despite BAL's boastful rust resistant e-coating claims, the jacks are fully rusted and almost impossible to turn.

I used an impact wrench to try and free one up and only succeeded in damaging the drive ears at the end of the screw. these jacks have no socket end, just a squished piece of soft steel that slots into an equally cheap wrench.

I'm going to replace the jacks, likely with the same thing as my trailer is very low slung and there's not enough clearance for nicer scissor jacks.

What can I do to keep the rust off this cheap steel? If I grease or oil the metal, it picks up sand and gravel from the road, and that jambs up the works as bad as rust.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
6 REPLIES 6

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
New jacks will be here Thursday... I bought the step up from what the factory put on, with the drive nut instead of the stamped "ears"

I understand something like graphite or moly dust will help the screw turn freely once it starts to rust, but I'd rather keep the rust off to begin with. Dutchmen's post of his screw losing traction once oil concerns me about using wd-40 or some such.

Guess I'll play it by ear.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
Any dry lube, like for a bicycle chain, you can get it anywhere.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I spray mine down with WD40 a couple times a year. It adds rust protection, a little lube, and is self cleaning if applied liberally.

I do it somewhere they can drip without harm and soak them good.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I lube my scissor stabilizers with Slip Plate graphite spray.
Seems to keep the rust away also. Goes on like paint.
Other brands available.

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Personally I have my 1/2 drill in one hand and a wire brush in the other. While I am going down (or up) I have the wire brush on the threads.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
If you oil the screw itself, the jack will not hold. It will slip and not keep it's grip. I did this once and although the jack looked good, it NEVER gripped and held again. I had to keep the jack handle in it and keep the end of the jack handle supported against something to keep the long screw from turning and loosing it's pressure. I'd rather have the rust. Sometimes, it's just time to replace things.