cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frozen battery cells

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
My MH has been in MT for 3 mos(another thread) I asked the shop to charge the batteries because they sat so long over the summer since July. Apparently the charged the chassis battery but not the house batteries. Last week I flew out to MT to drive the MH home and checked the the batteries the chassis battery was at 90 percent SOC and the house batteries were at 30 percent. I started charging with my 40 amp B&D charger and got an error message of a shorted cell. When I looked inside the caps there was a slushy ice formation inside, so I reduced the amps to 10, charged for a while then charged at 40 amps all night. No error message. My distilled water was frozen solid so added tap water to top of cells. It was very cold ride all the way home and batteries continued charging for 2000 miles while driving. They are holding a charge for the last 5 days. I will try an equalization before winter in CT sets in. Do you think partially frozen cells do any permanent damage the batteries? These are 2 6V GC Sam's Club batteries.
30 REPLIES 30

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hard to say. If it charges and works, it's fine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman