cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator Carb Needs Repeated Cleaning

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Kipor KGE3000Ti that ran great for several years. Then took it to the shop twice because it would just stop. They cleaned the carb, then replaced it. After each repair it would run for several hours then stop.

I tore it down, cleaned the fuel tank, fuel line and carburetor. Ran fine for several hours then it stopped again. Cleaned the carb - same result.

It's not all that difficult to clean the carb, but I'm looking for a more permanent fix. I've used StaBil and/or Seafoam in the gas but that apparently isn't helping.

Any suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
I re-read your post. Does not sound like a carb problem. I had the same problem where it would run and just shut down. I have not had the problem recently though. I think it may have been low oil level sensor, I also mow keep the oil toped off. I also thought it was a fuel cap vent, but now think it was the oil level.
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

rwynkoop
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same problem with mine. Now I always have fuel stabilizer in my gas. I also turn the fuel value off and run the generator till it burns all the fuel from the carb.
2003 Chevy 1500 HD Crew 4x4, 6.0L gas.
2007 Jayco 29BHS TT.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
How much seafood or stability have you put in it?

The recommended amount. Why?

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
hook up a different fuel tank see if the same thing happens, it,ll give an answer.

Hmmm. I'll have to think about how to do that. I may go ahead and replace the fuel lines.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Does it not start or run again after it shuts down? When you clean the carb do you also do something else, like top off the tank with gas?

One thing that comes to mind is the vent on the gas cap could be plugged and it runs until it creates enough vacuum in the tank to keep the gas from flowing.

Once it shuts down it won't start again until the carb is cleaned.

Kemahsabe
Explorer
Explorer
Led 67 wrote:
How is your fuel line?? What is getting into your carb? Dirt or does it resemble your fuel line material??

CA Traveler wrote:
Yeah - I'm thinking anything rubber in the fuel system. Or contaminated gas?

Agreed. An ethanol or materials problem, or both. I really can't see the contamination to examine it. I don't think it's contaminated gas. My outboard motor runs it with no problem.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does it not start or run again after it shuts down? When you clean the carb do you also do something else, like top off the tank with gas?

One thing that comes to mind is the vent on the gas cap could be plugged and it runs until it creates enough vacuum in the tank to keep the gas from flowing.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I'll be the first smartass to say Honda.

Or Yamaha... ๐Ÿ˜‰

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'll be the first smartass to say Honda.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
How much seafood or stability have you put in it?

Explorer
Explorer
Corn is the probably the problem. Try using straight gas.
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
hook up a different fuel tank see if the same thing happens, it,ll give an answer.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yeah - I'm thinking anything rubber in the fuel system. Or contaminated gas?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
How is your fuel line?? What is getting into your carb? Dirt or does it resemble your fuel line material??